jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

What do you think is the best classic car?

1. prbradshaw profile image73
    prbradshawposted 3 years ago

What do you think is the best classic car?

Looking for ideas for an entry level (budget AU$10k) classic car from the 60's, 70's or 80's, with good performance & handling.

2. mgeorge1050 profile image78
    mgeorge1050posted 3 years ago

I love the Chevy 1974 Chevelle SS.  Check one out on youtube, they are super sweet.

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is a fine ride and a great choice. With the advent of new emission controls and loss of horsepower we saw the 427 & 454 introduced in that era for the SS. Amazing horsepower. Grouped with a turbo 400 the package ruled the streets with ease.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

I'd go for a small British sports car, a Triumph TR4/6, an MG BGT or Midget, a Lotus Elan?

1. tsmog profile image82

I am a big fan of the Triumph. I fell into love with that car from a movie. From that love of the car it grew to their motorcycles. I have always been a fan of the Bonneville from the late 60's.

4. Penny G profile image72
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

55 Chevy. My Husband had two when were our teens/twenties. Love that look, love those wheel wells fender shape.

1. tsmog profile image82

Nice ride! The lines are smooth, distinct, and appeasing. Great cruiser and most effective drag car. I loved the gassers built from that car in the 60's and 70's for the NHRA and bracket racing at the local drags.

5. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

Classic is a tough question. Classic is not necessarily vintage. It is unique in and of itself. There are classics that were produced just this year alone. The Hennessey Venom GT and the Bugatti just to name two are classic cars.

From the eras you shared there ares so many choices for classics. Good performance and handling offers a perspective, yet it will be the perceptions that will win you over for a final choice. Of least a good mixture.

The Datsun (now Nissan) 'Z' series cars are classics - 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z. I loved those cars. When one came into the shop to be tuned I made sure I was available to swap out the plugs, tweak the timing just a tad, and play with fuel system with the gas analyzer looking for just right.

The test drive was what I looked forward too. What a ride for its time. They hugged the rode and plenty of power to weight ratio for a quick get to the go of things. Nice!

Consider the only real US sports car then was the corvette pretty much. The Z cars were more common than the 'Vette and were a sweet ride for more people with less money to invest. A favorite and affordable ride seen driven by both women and men.

However, I loved the Camaro and the Mustang too. The Boss series for the Mustang with a Boss 302 + 4 on the floor or a 351C (Cleveland Engine Cylinder Head design) with a 4 on the floor were both supreme. The Camaro SS with a big block 427 or the IROC with a small block ruled as equally. Nice rides.

Those three stand out . . . yet, I owned El Caminos. They are amazing too! smile And, to not forget the Dart series for Chrysler . . . Amazing if a Hemi was stuffed under the hood.

1. prbradshaw profile image73
      prbradshawposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Tsmog,
      I really like the Z series as well, I'm based in Australia and there are quite a few still around here, so I might do some research into them now. Corvettes and Mustangs are not too common here so prices high. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. wmhoward4 profile image69
    wmhoward4posted 3 years ago

For muscle, it's the Dodge Charger because it beat most anything out there and does not look like all the others.

For "classy" it the 59 Cadilac (Elvis had a few)

For Historic, its the Model A Ford

For reliable ....... Once you restore a VW BUG you will not have to do much for a LONG time.

7. prbradshaw profile image73
    prbradshawposted 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the fantastic suggestions, it's given me a lot more to think about and research.

working