jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

How can I tell what kind of vehicles an exhaust muffler will fit?

1. Motherbynature profile image77
    Motherbynatureposted 2 years ago

How can I tell what kind of vehicles an exhaust muffler will fit?

Someone gave me 2 polished exhaust mufflers to settle a debt.  How do I know what kind of vehicle they will fit?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12474298_f260.jpg

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

You would need to know the manufacturer and the part number. Then a search could be done with Google. Maybe that will produce an application.

Or, get the dimensions of the muffler;

Total length
    muffler length
    muffler diameter
    outlet diameter
    outlet tube length
    inlet diameter
    inlet tube length

To determine the inlet and outlet there usually is an arrow imprinted / stamped on the muffler indicating the flow direction. The inlet and outlet can be determined from that. Next, 'if' the manufacturer is known then go their site (if they have one) and if they offer product dimensions a determination can be made. Or, see if a catalog can be ordered. Possibly a very friendly parts store may be of help if they have a catalog.

Glancing at the image my best guess is it is a universal muffler that fits many cars. Universal mufflers generally just go by those dimensions mentioned earlier. Here is a link to DynoMax. http://www.dynomax.com/product-catalog At the upper right you will discover universal muffler. There are PDF files that show there different universal mufflers with dimensions.

Hopefully the muffler has the manufacturer name on it somewhere. Then you can be specific and discover the part number with a catalog like the DynoMax example. Universal mufflers don't usually have a make/model specific application reverse look-up (Part number to make/model). It is the individual using there prowess seeking finding a muffler for there purpose.

If I were wanting to sell that item on ebay for instance I would want to know;

The Manufacturer
    The muffler type by brand
    The Part number if possible
    Those dimensions mentioned, or
    The dimensions the muffler manufacturer uses

Next, at the main header feature I would list it something like this

New 'Manufacturer Name' Universal Muffler Part# XXXXXXXXX
    Then include several pictures
    Add a short description. For instance the one pictured looks to be polished. It may be stainless steel too.

For the price I would hope to find that at the manufacturer site firstly. Next, I would research ebay with a search to see where they are selling at and also what previous ones sold for.

I hope that helps . . .

1. Motherbynature profile image77
      Motherbynatureposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You're a lifesaver!  Your answer is clear and very detailed, The aftermarket stuff like this one throws me off.  There's a stamp on this one in some Asian writing.  I have no idea who the manuf. is but you gave me enough info to get going.  Thank you

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Did you have any luck with those mufflers Motherbynature?

3. Motherbynature profile image77
      Motherbynatureposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I sure did!  Sold one for $85.

working