jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What's the difference between crashing and wrecking?

1. woahthere profile image61
    woahthereposted 2 years ago

What's the difference between crashing and wrecking?

My friend stated she crashed but didn't wreck , what's the difference?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image95
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

I don't think there is much difference; if you are referring to an auto accident, and not a personal, emotional crash.

In the case of a car, I'm sure you could "crash" into something, but not total your car, and perhaps that is what the person meant, that 'wrecking'  would mean totaling the car.

I suggest you simply ask your friend to clarify what she meant, given the trend these days to apply unusual and even opposite meanings to words, such as  "sick" for something impressive and well-liked, or  'bad' meaning 'good,' which is an older expression.

3. ParadigmEnacted profile image72
    ParadigmEnactedposted 2 years ago

Well, in my experience, people used to say that they crashed or so and so crashed. People probably think that saying "wreck" is more PC. Crashing sounds to harsh so they say wreck. LOL!

4. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Those terms may seem the same, but are not always synonymous. I may be old school from the days when cars were not damaged as easily as those today. For instance they had stout front bumpers like on trucks.

If someone tells me they crashed their car I usually ask them if they wrecked it. Or, I will ask how bad did you wreck it. I use wreck more so interchangeable with damage to the vehicle and not the action of the accident occurring. Wrecking is more result orientated.

Another way to think of it is once it was common when a car was in an accident and could not be driven you called for a 'wrecker' to tow it. That is a lost term pretty much today. Today everyone knows it as a tow truck. Once sites for used parts were called wrecking yards or junk yards. Today they are called auto recycling yards.