- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs»
- Marketing for Small Business
My Ghostwriting Experience
Sometimes we look around for answers on how to be successful in the profession that we chose. As a ghostwriter, I am unknown to the Internet world. However, I never stop searching and studying to improve myself.
The knowledge I have acquired from my experiences is a reward from the challenges I have faced before. Many people use their experiences as their asset because without their experiences, they will never learn and stand by themselves. We may have different insights/views about this, but in this very moment, when you look at yourself, you will remember all the challenges that you had encountered before. You are now a different person, ready for a new battle in life.
I always wanted to have a private life where people would see me in a different way. To be honest, I have a simple yet mysterious life outside the real world. I had a job that never existed and in the real world, we are nobody. This kind of profession helped many people in the Internet industry, politics, business, music, advertising and many more. They become more successful and known to the public with the help of ghosts in our industry.
Ghostwriters can only follow what their clients want them to do. Including me, we may spend a lot of time and effort for a certain material, but we will never get the credit, our names will never appear on the articles we have created. A well-known composer named Mozart is one of the most popular ghostwriter in history; wealthy patrons hired him to ghostwrite music for them.
What is a Ghostwriter?
A ghostwriter is a writer, who writes articles, books, stories, reports, or other text that is officially credited to another person.
Celebrities, executives, politician leaders often hire ghostwriters to draft or edit autobiographies, magazine article or other written materials. In music, ghostwriters are often used for writing songs and lyrics. Screenplay authors can also use ghost writers to either edit or rewrite their scripts in order to improve them, increasing their chances to be optioned or produced. Also, ghost writers may also work on accompanying documents, such as treatment for screenplays.
In the 2000's, a new type of ghostwriting developed as blogs became popular: the blog ghostwriter. Companies or organizations hoping to generate interest in their blog site sometimes hire ghostwriters to post comments in their blog, while posing different persons and pseudonyms. Blogs are sometimes rated according to web ‘hits’ they get from users viewing the page, and this rating is used by advertisers considering paying for ad space on a blog website.
I started as a regular article writer on a website about dentistry and tourism, at first I thought it was hard to combine them because I never heard about this business before. Tourism is not even connected with dentistry, but my mentor online gave all the materials I needed to learn more about the website that I was assigned to. She also introduced me to some of her team, each team consists of 30 people, and they are required to create at least 150 articles a day for a certain website.
At first, I made many mistakes with my first article assignment, I was not able to follow the rules that the website provided for our team. After revising it three times, I was able to complete my first project. However, seeing my first article published online under a different name was hard for me. Some of my fellow ghostwriters told me, “Maia, without us these people are helpless, they need us to keep their websites running online. We help different kinds of people in order for them to stand, we are their structure.”
Our conversation lasted for a few minutes, we used Skype as our communication, my fellow writers may also feel the same way, but that is what ghostwriters are for, to be somebody’s structure.
You may think that we are like zombies, we follow every word they say, every key word they send us and every article structure they need. We do not have a choice but to make things the way they want it. However, we put our minds in every article we make; our characteristics are always connected and attached to it.
What I can leave for you today are the tips that I have learned from the people whom I worked with.
* BE HUMBLE. Having an arrogant character will not give you any success. If you are humble enough, while making your way up to the top of your career, people around you will never forget how you achieved it. Never pull other people down in order for you to take another step toward success.
* BE HONEST. Our industry has a lot to offer. You can always follow the easiest way to get your dream job. The CEO of your company may be a family friend or a distant relative. Either way, why not ask yourself if you really deserve that position before getting another promotion. The easiest way you think may be the right way to do it, but in order for us to learn, we should take the path where challenge awaits us.
* RESPECT OTHERS. A leader who does not know how to respect his co-workers or employees will never achieve any contentment, even their company has gained a lot of success in our industry, and surely, that person will always feel that something has been missing. If you are not humble and dishonest, you will never earn respect from your staff nor from the people around you.
* HELP OTHERS. If you really want to be successful, then you also have to look back. Using your own experience, as an effective leader you should know how to help your team be on the top of their career. You can also be an icon for other people who want to start with their own career. You could be the answer on how to be successful with their dream job; an adviser is not always there to spoon feed but to support.
In real life, we may be silent and even unknown to many people out there. We work hard to please our clients, we may receive incentives from them, but we will never receive any work credit. We will never succeed if we are not humble enough to do something without a credit, being honest is already a person’s achievement in life, having a reputation with a lot of respect is everybody’s dream. We call ourselves ghosts to have a private life and we help others without any accredited effort.
Before I end, I hope you have learned something from this short article. This is part of my daily life online, dealing with different people whom I cannot even see, nor hear how they speak. However, even though I never met them personally, I became a different person and I learned to be independent in this online industry because of them. I thank God for sending these unseen angels to guide me along the way.