8Detergents you can make at Home,Save Money or Start a Business
Why Make Your Own Detergents?
1.Save money.Due to hard economic times and also an increase in awareness of financial management, many people are trying to be savers.One big way to save money is buy making your own products instead of buying them.Most commercial products are expensive because of the cost of production and the labour involved in production.Making your own products will definately cut on costs because your using your own labour and there are no middle men involved in the making and selling of the final product.
2.To start a side hustle or detergent selling business.Many people want to make more money and are looking for ideas which they can invest in and start a business even though they already employed.Making your own detergents can be a good business idea to invest your money.You can decide to open a shop to sell the detergents or you can make them in your own home and sell to your neighbours ,workmates,friends and other potential buyers you meet.You can also approach local shops or supermarkets in your area and ask them if you can suplly them with detergents once you make them.
3.To have fun.There are people who love "do it yourself" projects and they feel good and excited about just making things on their own.For those who love experimenting this is a fun project to take try while at the same time saving some money.
4.Transition to natural and healthy living.Homemade products including homemade detergents are a good way of transitioning to natural living.When making your own detergents you are sure of the ingredients.Many manufacturers produce detergents that contain things such as petroleum distillates, which are believed to cause cancer and lung disease.When making for instance your own shampoo for your natural hair,you are sure that the products are safe and good for the growth of your own natural hair.Unlike other shampoos which have ingredients that deter natural hair from beign healthy and grow.
Below are 8 detergents and instructions on how to make them.
- Softener granules
- Boil 5 ltrs of water
- Mix the granules till all dissolved.
- Add remaining 5 ltrs cold water.
- Add perfume and preservatives and colour.THIS IS FOR 10 LTRS
- Mix the first 3 ingredients with 2 litres of water.
- Once all are dissolved add the rest of the water. In this case i was doing 20 ltrs so add 18 ltrs of water.
- Stir and add the rest of ingredients and colour
- ungarol 1.5kg,
- cde 1/2,
- pearlized 1/4,
- caustic soda,
The procedure for making shower gel is exactly as that of multipurpose detergent and the only variation is the glycerine, cde and pearlised liquid.
Once the soda is mixed in ungarol and smooth add all other ingredient execept colour and perfume. Add your water to content add colour perfume
Bleach aka jik/distainer.
- Magadi n caustic..
- This is for 20 ltrs but makes upto 25ltrs depending on how concentrated you want it.
- Mix all content with water and stir till you get a milky chalky mixture and leave.
- After 5 or so hours stir the mixture.
- In the evening stir again and in the morning.
- Do this for 3 days you will eventually get a very clear liquid on day 3.
- Sieve using a cloth to rid any residue.
- Caustic soda,
- Industrial salt,
- HCL 2ltrs,
- Put 8 ltrs of water in a bucket.
- Add caustic soda and Ufacid and stir,
- Add industrial salt and STPP and stir till all is smooth,
- Add ungarol and stir completely till all the Gel is dissolved.
- Add the perfume at this stage,
- Once all is dissolved add the HCL. HCL has fumes like crazy so please cover your nose and mouth and make sure none spills on you but once it mixes with the othe ingredients its ok. Stir completly and leave it.
- Colour is added after 3 hours. Your Harpic is ready
Multipurpose liquid detergent
- Ungarol- 1kg
- Put 2 ltrs water in a bucket
- Add ungarol, industrial salt and ufacid.
- Mix to a smooth paste and all granules dissolved. Add caustic soda stabilizer and booster.
- Mix in well then add 18 ltrs of water and mix.
- Add colour preservertive.
- Add perfume
- Stir and allow to settle at least 12 hours before use.
- 20 liters water
- Ungarol. 1.5kg
- Industrial salt 1kg
- Sodium benzoate/Formaline. 25cc
- Cde. 250g
- Perfume. 25cc
- Colour. 5gms
- Pearlizer. 250g
Use the same format just like multi purpose liquid detergent for preparation
- ungarol 11/2 kg,
- industrial salt
The procedure is pretty much the same.
- Mix ungerol CDE and industrial salt with 2 ltrs of water to a smooth paste.
- Add preservative and glycerin and stir.
- Add 8 ltrs of water,
- Add perfume dettol and colour and you are done.
Where to buy ingredients for making detergents in Kenya
- Chemchare Shop located at OTC next to Tuskys supermarket.Incase you get lost just ask those people selling diapers they will direct you to the shop.This shop is well known and it is where most Nairobians buy their products
- Karanja market next to toi market
- Fesdan suppliers located next to the casino after special care treatment clinic
- Konja roundabout opposite roast house where there are matatus heading to limuru.There are shops in that line,go upstairs,ask you will be directed.
- Rumourth located opposite Diamond trust bank near Tea room. On cross road
- Neru on kirinyaga road