How to Brand Your Business
What is branding?
Branding is about getting your customers/clients to see your business as the solution to their problem. Your brand is derived from who you are, who you want to be, and how people perceive you. Branding tells your customers/clients what products/services to expect and how you are different from competitors.
How do you define your brand?
First, you have to figure out what the single, unique value your company possesses that customers will want. It may take time and some self-discovery on your part, but remember to be yourself. Use these questions to get you started:
- What is your business’ mission?
- What are the benefits and features of your products/services?
- What qualities do you want your customers/clients to associate with your business?
- Who would you never want to work with?
Next, your brand must pass these four questions in order to be effective.
- Is your brand emotional and rational? Does it connect with the hearts and minds of customers/clients?
- Is it believable?
- Is your brand relevant to a group of potential customers/clients in the area?
- Is it simple, repeatable, and memorable?
How do you get exposure for your brand?
Once you’ve defined your brand, you should get a spokesperson, mascot, or logo for your brand. This creates brand affinity and customers/clients will recognize your business. Then try these methods for brand promotion:
- Develop a tagline that is short, meaningful, and memorable.
- Write down what the brand messaging is and what key messages you want to communicate.
- Be true to your brand and deliver yourself and business as advertised.
- Integrate your brand into everything for the company (uniforms, email signature, etc.)
- Design marketing materials that fit your brand using the same colors and logo each time.
- Be consistent; otherwise, your branding will fail.
Another thing to utilize when trying to establish your brand is the internet. Use word of mouth marketing online to gain positive publicity for your brand. By using sites like Pintrest to create interest in your business and by giving amazing customer service, you will enhance your brand. Being accessible and personally answering calls and emails about customers/client’s questions or concerns will create positive branding for you and your business.
- 5 Ideas for Pinterest Boards That Can Help Build Your Brand | Entrepreneur.com
If you're interested in getting started on Pinterest, but don't know where to begin, consider the following ideas for boards that can help build...
- 3 Tips for Branding Your Growing Business | Video | Entrepreneur.com
Expert Erika Napoletano offers advice on how to get your customers to see your business as the solution to their problems.