How to Open a Pet Photography Business
The fact is that a pet will:
It is very rare to know of someone that has not experienced having a pet. A pet is considered as that special animal that is a companion. These are the domestic animals that live with us, located inside or outside of our homes.
A farm animal may be a pet, it is not only about dogs or cats. A cow, pig, chicken or horse may be domesticated and be seen as a pet. Who really can identify a pet, since it really is a relation. Who then can impede a relation? The definition of a pet is very individual.
- Identify the owners voice.
- The smell will let the pet know that the owner is around.
- Animals do not laugh, but pets are easily appreciated for their emotional status.
be it depressed, angry, sad, sick or happy.
Take advantage of this situation. A pet is another member of a family. Why not have pictures of it?
Pets have diverse characteristics
Pets as a profitable activity
Many people take advantage of the opportunity to change from paid employment to a business related to their tastes and passions. No doubt the animal business can be an opportunity to combine a love of pets with a profitable activity. Those may be:
- A Pet Store
- Animal Walking
- Pet Care Center
- Finding Lost Pets
- Pet Cemetery
A pet is part of the family
Focus yourself and your camera. Those who have tried to take a good photograph of a pet know that it is not easy. If you're handy with a camera, a business option is to become a photographer specialized in pets. It's definitely a niche market, but in all animal lovers, certainly enough to capitalize on this type of business. Focus on:
- Your income needs
- A camera
- A good photo editor
- A printer
- A portfolio with quality production
- Price range
- Clients to impact
- Location (may be outdoors, client's home, or any available room).
Focus on the pet:
- Plan the photo session with time.
- Before the photo session know the details of what is wanted in the photo.
- Have your camera prepared before the pet gets tired.
- Dress appropriate and comfortable.
- Observe the pet and get the best of its characteristics.
- Beware of the light (natural light is better).
- Camera flashes many times mess up with eyes or behavior.
- It is recommended to focus the eyes (call their attention...sometimes it is a matter of seconds).
- The level is also important (even with people). Try to be at the pet's level.
- Last, but not least, have patience.
A picture is a wonderful memory!
Some owners like to dress their pets
- Having a tripod gives freedom and guarantees time saved, stress killer and quality.
- Respect the animal and owners rules.
- Be careful with the background selected.
Animals are wonderful and I know this business has a way to provide gratification and money, be it extra, or to make a living.
Some suggestions to do with a Pet Photography Business:
- Make calendars
- Wall papers
- Frame them in different sizes and colors
- Create CDs and/ or DVDs
Link to a Hub that gives ideas
- Where to Sell Your Photography
Breaking into the field of photography can be intimidating. There are just so many good professionals out there. But I say don't be shy, give it a try!
To the right I linked a hub about where you can sell your photos if the animal does not have owners. I hope this hub helped those who may consider a Pet Photography Business.
Blessings to all!
© Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill
Never underestimate moments
© 2013 Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill