Good Jobs in Jackson, Mississippi
Sustainable Development in the Marketplace
Jackson, Mississippi is much different from the rest of the USA in that on its Top 20 List of High Demand or Fast-Growth Jobs appears the title Compensation and Benefits, Jobs Analysts.
That job title is associated with workers and more specifically, compensation packages, insurance, retirement, and several other elements. Why is a job-related occupation increasing?
This presence on a high demand job list is a hallmark of a job title required by an economy that is not only low in unemployment ratings and thus needing workers, but also high in job and business growth. Because of good economic planning for development in a five-county area, Jackson is also poised to continue high growth and expansive business and economic development for decades.
All this makes the Greater Jackson Area a good place to live and grow in one's career or business ownership. Jackson, Mississippi is recognized as one of the best 25 Medium-Sized American Cities for New Jobs and Business Growth in the 21st century.
Jackson-Yazoo City Metropolitan Area
The metropolitan area of Jackson-Yazoo City and five contiguous counties is home to over 570,000 people, while Jackson itself supports over 150,000 residents.
Urban renovation and reconstruction, including sustainability-encompassing facilities, are predominant infrastructure trends set to continue through several decades of development in the 21st century. Accordingly, the occupational title of Environmental Engineer is Number Two on the Top 10 Hot Jobs list for this region of the state.
Not only do county and city workforce projections substantiate this projection in environmental engineering, but job listings on a number of job boards also support it.
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
Information Technology (IT) jobs are not the only occupations booming in the Greater Jackson Area. Health and Medical jobs are available by the thousands and Environmental Engineers and Engineering Technicians are in high demand.
Interestingly, Broadcast News Analysts are in the Top 10 Hot Jobs list in this market area. This is an occupation not seen on many lists of high demand jobs around the country, but people in this marketplace show great interest in local and national news, especially in election years like 2016, 2018 and 2020.
Highest demand jobs include the following:
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Environmental Engineers - also Engineering Techs
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Medical Assistants
- Home Health Aides
- Occupational and Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides
- Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- Psychiatric Technicians
Broadcast News Analysts
An additional 10 high growth occupations in the Jackson area include the following:
- Industrial Engineers & Techs
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants
- Preschool Teachers, Mainstream
- Business Teachers, Post-secondary (college level, post high school level)
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Vocational Education Teachers, Post-secondary
- Database Administrators
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Child Care Center/Program
Education is a top industry in this group of high demand jobs. Because of the job growth in this region, Compensation & Benefits/Job Analysts are in high demand. IT and legal techs are assured of abundant job openings.
Largest Jackson Area Employers
- State of Mississippi government offices and facilities. Hind County, home to Jackson, has two county seats, and therefore more state & county government jobs as well than do some other counties.
- University of Mississippi Medical Center: IT/Computers, Health, Environment
- United States Government: All Top 20 Jobs
- Jackson Public School District
- Nissan North America Inc.: Transportation, vehicles manufacturing, etc.
Idaho Forest Group officially announced its plans to build Lumberton’s (Jackson area) first new sawmill since the 1920s.“This is the first green-field mill that we’ve built...,” said Marc Brinkmeyer, owner and CEO. Brinkmeyer said the facility will produce a variety of wood products and create up to 135 jobs.— WLOX/ Vanessa Pacheco | December 14, 2020
Native American Nations in Jackson
The Choctaw Nation in and near Jackson originally flattened the skulls of their male infants. Sports were very important to Choctaw culture, and their most favored sport was lacrosse. The Choctaws used lacrosse to settle many disputes, rather than going to war with rival nations. However, the matches included biting, striking, stomping, and gouging; and deaths sometimes occurred.
Choctaws bred their own horses and cattle, contributing to area agriculture, but were forced west to Oklahoma by President Andrew Jackson in 1830. However, there is still an official Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.
Choctaw economy is based in agriculture, manufacturing, service, retail, and tourism, including gaming and shopping malls. The Band employees over 8,000 people, 65% of them non-native, and experience new job openings every year.
The Chickasaw Nation's name means "to leave." They warred intermittently with the Choctaw Nation and absorbed African and African American slaves into their tribe. They were all removed to Oklahoma after the Choctaws were forced west, under the Indian Removal Laws of Andrew Jackson's Presidential Administration..
African American History and Business in Mississippi
- Mississippi's African American Authors
Mississippi State University libraries installation - Dozens of important writers and their bios.
- Mississippi's African American Shape Note Tradition
- The Civil Rights History Project (The American Folklife Center, Library of Congress)
Mississippi oral history project - The Civil Rights History Project: Survey of Collections and Repositories (American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress)
Post Secondary Schools in Jackson
- Antonelli College
- Belhaven College Christian Higher Education
- Cooks Institute Of Electronics Engineering
- Jackson College of Ministries
- Jackson State University
- Millsaps College
- Mississippi College School-Law
- Mississippi State University
- Tougaloo College
- University of Mississippi & Medical Center
- Wesley Biblical Seminary
Sports Opportunitites in Jackson
Many sports teams play in this area and often list job openings in local newspapers and on job boards like Indeed.com and Simplyhired.com:
- Belhaven College Blazers - Several sports for men and women.
- JSU Tigers - Several college level sports.
- Jackson Senators minor-league Baseball
- Mississippi Braves Baseball - Affiliate of the major league Atlanta Braves.
- MS Sports Hall of Fame and Museum - This grew out of the original, local Dizzy Dean Museum (www.msfame.com/).
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS