- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
Reasons to Start your own Business
As a woman who works for herself and owns her own business, I can tell you from personally experience that there are a number of good reasons to start your own business. I can also tell you that it's not something that's for everyone and that there are probably as many reasons not to start your own business as there are to start one. To know whether or not you should start your own business, you really need to do some self-assessment, seeing if the reasons to start your own business are right for you.
Here are just some of the reasons to start your own business:
- You can work from home. Although this isn't true of every business, it's true for a lot of them. Many people find this situation to be ideal for a number of reasons. They have children and want to be home with them. They live in an area that doesn't offer a lot in the way of employment opportunities (such as a very rural or remote area). Or they simply don't like having to go out and deal with the world every day but still want to be productive people. Working from home offers people some great situations and is one of the most common reasons to start your own business. Just be aware that there are downfalls to working from home that need to be considered as well. Take a look at this article by Isabel Isidro for a realistic look at some of the problems of working from home.
- The flexibility of your schedule. Perhaps you're just not a morning person so being to work at 9 doesn't work for you. Maybe you want to be able to take an afternoon yoga class without having to explain your schedule to your boss. Or it's possible that you just like the flexibility of working fourteen hours on Monday and taking Tuesday off. The flexibility of your own schedule is another of the common reasons to start your own business. However, be aware that this means you'll need to be self-disciplined to make sure that you're really working as much as you need to in order to make your business work.
- You make the decisions. It's frustrating to have a boss telling you want to do or a team of people helping you to make decisions. When you start your own business, you are the only one that you are responsible to. There's a lot of weight that comes with that but there's also a lot of opportunity. It gives you some creative freedom and lets you really live by your beliefs.
- What you earn is up to you. This also isn't always true. But in general, there's unlimited room for potential income growth as you work to grow your business. You can invest as much time as you want to make the kind of money that you want to make. Of course, you're also investing your own time and your own money in this business so you may lose out, but many people think that the risk is worth the reward.
These are just some of the major reasons to start your own business.