- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs
Attractions, Technologies and Jobs in San Diego
High Technology is King
Transition to Success
San Diego has been formerly a major site for US Navy shipyards and other military installations and defense facilities. Defense remains important, but other industries have come to the fore in the 21st century.
In the 21st century, industrial focus in the Greater San Diego Area has diminished in the military-industrial complex throughout the local economy, because of national closure of several military installations across the country. This has included California.
The Greater San Diego Area economy is healthy and growing after a transition from the military-industrial-defense business cluster to successful high-tech organizations. In addition, these high-tech companies operate in the larger global marketplace, facilitated by the ease of shipping in and out of the city via its locale and the increasing numbers of freight shippers starting and/or maintaining business in the region.
San Diego has transitioned from a locally large city to a giant Global Metroplex. This city is one of the Top 25 Best (large) Cities for Jobs and Business in America, according to US Department of Labor statistics and the research of entities such as Kiplinger, the US News and World Report, Forbes, and several others.
New businesses are succeeding in San Diego and surrounding areas, largely in the arena of small-to-medium-sized high-tech companies. These are producing high-quality goods for sale around the world. In fact, dramatic increases in San Diego's GRP (gross regional product) have manifested steadily since the 1990s. This increase includes in per capita income, job growth, employment percentage of the local labor pool, and overall exports of goods. The latter has aided in the growth of the shipping and freight industry, facilitating further growth in shipping and other industries.
Southern California - San Diego
High Demand Jobs and Business Opportunities
So much opportunity exists in San Diego and the surrounding metro area, that the city is expected to be in the Top 10 List for job growth all the way through 2025. This is the first US city I have found to have Job Growth Forecasts out to so future a date. Truly, the opportunity is abundant in California around San Diego, especially in high-tech businesses, as well as in technologies in all fields. However, other industries and career fields are not flagging.
The four Industry Sectors that are so spurred to growth are different from in much of the rest of the country and from other cities on this particular Top 10 List. They include Manufacturing, Defense, Tourism, and Agriculture.
Further, the biggest and fastest growing Industry Clusters encompass:
- Financial and Business Services - financing, insurances, investments, other financial products.
- Biotechnology and Biosciences, including bioengineering
- Defense and Space Manufacturing
- Electronics Manufacturing
- Software Development
Other fast-growing industries are Environmental/Green Industries, Transportation, Recreation & associated goods, and International Trade. well over 600 companies in the area opperate in at least one other nation in addition to the US.
Top 10 Fast-Growing Jobs in Greater San Diego
The following are the fastest growing jobs, regardless of Industry Sector or Custer, in San Diego County that are estimated through 2016:
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Home Health Aides & Medical Assistants
- Computer Software Engineers - Applications
- Computer Software Engineers - Systems Software
- Biomedical Engineers
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Database Administrators
- Physician Assistants
- Gaming Dealers & Other Workers
- Forensic Science Technicians
SNAPSHOT - Highest Demand of 51,000 jobs in January 2015, up from 44,400 Jobs in 1/2013, up from 39,500 in 6/2012
- Software Engineers
- Occupational Therapists
- Store Managers
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Project Managers
- Systems Engineers
- Clinical Nurse - RNs
- Tax Professionals
San Diego Job Links
- Biotechnology Education
An effective collaboration between Industry and Education.
- Travel Nursing
Description and explanation fo the lucrative field of medical travelers. Tremendous job benefits are provided as well as increased salaries for travel LPNs, RNs, technicians, therapists, physicians, and others.
Healthcare and Biotechnologies
The Top 10 Fast-Growing Health Related Occupations in San Diego:
- Registered Nurses - including higher-paid Travel Nurses
- Dental Hygienists
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants
- Medical Assistants
- Home Health Aides
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Dental Assistants
- Radiologic Technologists and Technicians
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Physical Therapists
Sample Health & Medical Jobs & Average Wages Per Year
- Dental Hygienists - $89,000
- Radiologic Technologists & Technicians - $60,000
- Physician Assistants - $82,000
- Nuclear Medicine Technologists - $75,000
- Speech Language Pathologists - $72,000
- Occupational Therapists - $72,000
- Physical Therapists - $70,000
- Clinical, Counseling, & School Psychologists - $69,000
- Registered Nurses - $68,000 [Travel Nurses earn more]
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers - $67,000
San Diego County Borders Mexico
San Diego Resources
- Home Page | San Diego Zoo
- San Diego - San Diego Hotels | Things To Do, Activities, Tours
Events and announcements.
- San Diego Beaches | Lifeguard Services
Eleven different beaches, each with different attractions.
Colleges and Universities
Dozens of colleges, universities, and vocational schools are located on San Diego County and offer excellent training programs for the fast-growing jobs in the area, as well as business classes that promote ownership of new high-tech companies and green businesses. Financing is available through a number of avenues.
- California State Educational Funding Opportunities: csac.ca.gov/
- Local Area Groups - Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.
- Dedicated Scholarships for specific ethnic, religious, or professional affiliations.
- Academic Scholarships through a particular school.
- Healthcare Employers - many San Diego Area medical employers offer Tuition Reimbursement programs to their working staff along with flexible work schedules that allow class attendance. You may be able to benefit from truition reimbursement quite far up the health care professions ladder.
Dr. Occupation in San Diego
Major Colleges and Universities
- Alliant International University
- California State University - San Marcos
- Coleman College
- Cuyamaca Community College
- Grossmont Community College
- Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District
- MiraCosta Community College
- National University
- Point Loma Nazarene University
- Palomar Community College
- San Diego Community College District:
San Diego City College, San Diego Mesa College, San Diego State University, San Diego Miramar College
Nurse TV in San Diego
Local Sports in San Diego
College Sports Teams
- San Diego Toreros
- San Diego State Aztecs
League Team Sports
Professional Team Sports
- Golden Baseball League - San Diego Surf Dawgs
- National Indoor Football League - San Diego Shockwave
- American Basketball Association - San Diego Wildcats
Native American Resort Industry
- BARONA VALLEY RANCH, Barona Band of Mission Indians
- CASINO PAUMA, Pauma Yuima Band of Mission Indians
- GOLDEN ACORN, Campo Kumeyaay Nation
- HARRAH'S RINCON RESORT, Rincon San Luiseno Band of Mission Indians
- JAMUL RESORT, Jamul Indian Village, Kumeyaay Nation
- LA POSTA RESORT, La Posta Band of Mission Indians
- SANTA YSABEL RESORT, Santa Ysabel Band of Diegueño Indians
- VALLEY VIEW, San Pasqual Band of Mission Indians
- VIEJAS RESORT Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians
San Diego Military Bases
- Camp Pendleton
- Navy Region Southwest
- Point Loma
- Spawar - Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command