Things You Need To Know Before You Become a Teacher of a Foreign Language
Teachers need help, too. Foreign language teacher is my principle specialty field, and I am eager to share some tips here about classes for foreign language teachers.
How To Run A Class
- Start your class energetically. Keep every student busy from the beginning till the end of the class. Keep an eye on all the students.
- Do not start any work in the class unless you have the attention of every student.
- The best way to have discipline is to run the class in such a way that the students would not get distracted by other things.
- Students must speak more than the teacher during the class.
- Do not make your classes similar. Let every new class be different and more interesting than the previous one.
- Your explanation tempo must correspond to your students' understanding capacity. Observe how your explanation works. Do not use words that children would not understand. Smart as you might be, adjust your language to the level of understanding of your students.
- While teaching something new, set problems that would make children think. Be emotional and do not stay indifferent towards the problems that you are talking about.
- While explaining, give interesting and descriptive examples.
- Bring your students' attention to the essence, do not overload their memory with less important details.
- While teaching new things, try some training as well.
Ask Yourself Before The Class
- Is your class thoroughly planned? Whom are you going to ask? Will you use pictures? Flashcards? What will you do if one of your students has not done their home task?
- Does every student respond as far as every aspect of the language is concerned (reading, translation, vocabulary)?
- Do you take notes of the students who do not cope with the tasks?
- Do you plan special tasks for the students who do not cope as well as others?
- What kind of help can you offer to those who missed the previous class?
- Do your students master the vocabulary, grammar, phonetics that you previously studied?
- Do you actually speak the foreign language during the class and after the class?
- Do you stick to the same requirements at every class?
- Do you foresee additional activities in case there is some time left before the end of the class?
- Do make use of the mastered language skills as you introduce a new topic? Do you use familiar words in new grammatical structures and situations?
- Will you prepare your students for the home task?
- Do you make all your students note their home task?
- Do you use games?
- Do you have all the necessary equipment to run the class in your classroom?
- Do you care for the moral education of your students?
- Do you work on your worldview expansion, skill improvement? Do you read?
- How informative is your new topic and how educational is it?
- Do you rely on awareness, communication and situational speaking during your class?
- Back to School
It's time to go back to school. Teachers, are you ready? Students, are you ready? Hold tight your pencils.
Were you happy with your foreign language teacher?
- Some more games to play on Halloween
Halloween can be fun for both children and the adults. It is a very specific holiday and it can give inspiration to many contests and other funny activities. On a Halloween party, we can play such games as "Wandering light", "The mummy", "Ghost hunt"
- How to Make Your Child Love Reading Books
As children read, this makes their imagination work. Beyond every word the image is created by their own mind. However, to get the taste of reading one needs to have a habit to do so. It is the parents' task to develop this skill.