Best Well Paying Jobs in Plandome NY With The Plandome Marathoner Of Antarctica
100th Year Anniversary of Reaching the South Pole
Journalist Kimi Puntillo Writes about Racing
Famous Marathoner from Plandome
The first woman in the world to run marathons on seven continents grew up in Plandome, New York.
She is Ms. Kimi Puntillo, who began marathon training, despite the circumstance that she disliked running. She was pleased to run in the second-ever Antarctic marathon held in February 1997. There, she grew the dream to enter a Guiness Record into the historic books. She accomplished that record in a total of 700 days as the first female to do so, and there have been others since that record who have tied or broken it. M.s Puntillo wants many more to do the same, encouraging them to find a spirit of energy and vitality. In the 2010s, a Seven Continents Marathon Club boasts both male and female members.
Plandome in Nassau County is the #5 Richest Place in America for 2010, according to Forbes.com and the US Census Bureau. Its 1270+ residents live in large homes and mansions at a median cost of $989,700. The median in Plandome Heights just to the south is slightly lower at $910,110. Various economics and business sources quote the Plandome median household income as somewhere between $242,000 to $247,000 per year. Village ancestry is over 34% Irish, about 22% Italian, and a few percent each of many other nationalities.
This is where Ms. Puntillo grew up. After college, she worked in production for NBC News. She began running after a divorce, feeling that the marathons and running changed her life for the good. These feats and activities helped her heal and gave her hope far into the future. Not only did she run, but she also climbed mountains during or after some of her running events. Her book of a hundred marathons is featured to the right and it is an encouragement to readers. Her initial record setting journey is outlined below:
- New York City Marathon - November 3,1997 (This was her second NYC Marathon.)
- Antarctic Ice Marathon - Interestingly, Plandome was incorporated as a village in 1911, the year that explorers first reached the South Pole. Both 100-year anniversaries are celebrated in 2011.
- London Marathon
- Mount Everest Marathon - A marathon on the mountain, not only upwards, but up and down, up and down.
- Mount Klimanjaro Marathon - After the event, Ms. Puntillo climbed to the top.
- Sidney Marathon
- Adidas Marathon in Buenos Aries, Argentina - October 4, 1998
And in the 2000s...
- North Pole Marathon - April, 2006
HubPages has its own star marathoner in Stephanie Marshall Hicks, and if you want to learn more about marathons, please see the links below:
HubPages' Star Marathoner Across the Nation in Oregon
- How to Qualify for the Boston Marathon
After years of believing I could never even complete a marathon distance race, I qualified for the prestigious Boston Marathon in my second marathon (the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco)! For those...
- The Nike Women's Marathon
On October 17, 2010, the 7th annual Nike Women's Marathon took place in San Francisco, California. I was one of the over 20,000 participants that toed the start line at the dark hour of 7:00 a.m. It was my...
Village of Plandome in Manhasett, Long Island, NY
Architecture and Attractions
A thriving commercial area surrounds Plandome and other local villages on a peninsula that is home to Port Washington on Manhasset Bay. The villages are close to Manhattan, a number of recreatonal beaches, park lands and green spaces, shopping, dining, entertainment, nightlife, and higher education. Major airports, railways, light rail, and bus systems are also near at hand.
A number of the beautiful older homes in Plandome and adjacent were designed and created by famous architects and make a fine architectural tour. The main thoroughfare around Plandome is Plandome Road, supporting a large number of businesses.
Plandome is largely a community of traditional 2-parent families and awhile a few over half the residents drive to work or business, many also use mass transit, according to CityTownInfo.com.
The Manhasset Shopping Center is located south of Palindome Road on Highway 25A, less than half a mile south of the Long Island Railroad line. The larger Americana Manhassett mall is approximately a mile to the east, at Route 25A and 101. Just further east are a number of educational facilitiies and parks (see links below).
- Metropolitan Transport - Long Island Railroad
Plandome/Port Washington Branch
Attactions In and Near Plandome
- Americana Manhasset - Long Island's Destination Luxury Shopping Center
Americana Manhasset is the premier luxury shopping destination on Long Islands North Shore, close to Manhattan and the Hamptons. Home to over 60 international boutiques, featuring remarkable architecture, harmonious landscaping and services to help
- CW Post Home - Long Island University
- New York Baseball Academy - Summer Camps & Summer Study Programs
New York Institute of Technology. Includes Osteopathic College.
- Science Museum of Long Island
Outdoor preserve of 45 acres, 9-acre Leeds Pond. Guided nature walks alternate Sundays. Educational programs and family workshops. Gift shop.
- Stecklow Gardens - Brookville - RecreationParks.net
Stecklow Gardens (Brookville) in Nassau County, NY. Instant access to maps, directions, activities, photos, nearby parks, weather conditions, user comments, and more. RecreationParks.net lets you discover public parks down the street or across the co
- SUNY College at Old Westbury
- Welcome to Plandome Country Club | Long Island, New York
Leed's Pond Near Manhasset Bay
Other Long Island Communities
- Top 10 Jobs in Nassau-Suffolk, Long Island
Wall Street shares its financial vigor very much with Long Island and the counties of Nassau and Suffolk. Finance and inurance businesses thrive on the island ...
- How to Find a Job in the City - New York City
You may have your rent paid for up to one year if you choose one of the options listed here! This page provides useful and effective guidelines that work to put you in the middle of the Big Apple with a good job.
Employment Projections for Long Island in 2008 - 2018
Fastest Growing Jobs:
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts - Well paid IT professionals; Numer 11 in most jobs below.
- Personal/Home Care Aide
- Skin Care Specialists - Non-medcal
- Home Health Aides
- Athletic Trainers
- Physical Therapist Aides
- Medical Scientists, not including Epidemiologists
- Pharmacy Technicians
Jobs Expects to Provide the Most Openings:
- Home Health Aides - Number 4 above.
- Personal and Home Care Aides - Number 2 above.
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Combined Food Prep & Servers
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, similar
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers,
- Child Care Workers
- Landscapers and Groundskeepers
- Accountants and Auditors - includes forensic accounting.
- Wait Staff
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts - Number 1 Fastest-Growing Job above.
- Teacher's Assistants
- Medical Assistants
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
Business and Jobs Trends
Business increased in the Plandome area again since the 2010 Holiday Season, with 204,000 jobs availablein February 2011. The Number One Top Job dlisted is Business Analyst, indicating business growth in the Long Island market area. The most jobs accessible to Plandome are offered in the New York City Boroughs, Jersey City NJ, Stamford CT, Newark NJ, and White Plains NY.
Top Hiring Companies
- Entertainment Industry jobs
- JPMorgan Chase
- Ernst & Young
- Citigroup - Financial
- Michael Page International
- Columbia University
- Morgan Stanley
- A & P Supermarkets
- Mitchell Martin
- Bank of America
- Time Warner
Top Hot Jobs
- Business Analysts & similar - 13K+ jobs
- Project Managers
- Administrative Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Java Developers
- Registered Nurse (RNs)
- Occupational Therapists
- Account Executives
- Executive Assistants
- Account Managers
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Sales Representatives
- Senior Accountants
- Shift Supervisors
- Web Developers
- Investment Counselors
- .Net Developers
- Financial Analysts
The Top 5 Companies in need of Business Analysts near Plandome are JPMorgan Chase, Citi, Deloitte, Morgan Stanley, and Citigroup.
While researching and interpreting maps for Long Island the the villages like Plandome, I found an additional term appearing quite frequently: Palindrome. In case any have forgotten what a palindrome is, here we have it:
Palindrome - This is not a verbal gaff made by former GOP Vice-Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin. From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary ©2011: "A word, verse, sentence, or number that reads the same forwards as backwards."
Even a strand of DNA, a phrase of music tones, a line of computer code, or a sequence of colorful blocks could be a palindrome.
A few examples of famous palindromes:
A man, a plan, a canal, Panama! - (I heard this one in junior high.)
Add your palindromes to the Comments section below.