Business and Employment in Syracuse NY
A Best City in America and NY
Syracuse in located in Central New York State, as can be seen from the accompanying map to the right. The city is on the Top 25 list of Best Medium Sized Cities in the US for Jobs and Business for 2007-2008.
Of large importance is the Syracuse green initiative citywide. It began with replacing inefficient and faulty city lighting and signs with more efficient equipment, which led into the L.E.E.D. sustainability requirement for new construction. The city's comprehensive city plan under the Mayor's Office includes green industry and sustainability development though 2025, which will continue to produce new jobs for this "Best City."
Syracuse, named for a town in Sicily, is a city of firsts. This included the first drive-thru banking services in the nation and the invention of the device made for measuring your feet for shoes. Syracuse is the site of the first formation around 1450 of the Iroquois Confederacy, which included the Onondagas (for whom the county is named), Mohawks, Cayugas, Senecas, and Oneidas, joined later by the Tuscaroras.
Historic Photos of Syracuse on the Erie Canal
The Syracuse Neighborhood Initiative coordinates the City of Syracuse, local and national non-profit agencies, and private sector companies to revitalize the several neighborhoods in Syracuse and reconstruct and renovate the vacant buildings that have created urban blight. New homes are being constructed, as well as new, green commercial buildings.
The Neighborhood Initiative also improves the general quality of living by rehabilitating or razing buildings that attract crime. Home ownership is one goal of this initiative, providing neighborhood residents an opportunity to increase in the values of their properties.
The Neighborhood Initiative provided increasing home ownership options through ongoing renovation and construction of affordable homes, home buyer counseling, and affordable financing.
Top 10 Jobs in Syracuse
The following Top 10 Jobs offer the most and fastest growing job listings 2015 - 2016:
- Retail Sales
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Registered Nurses [RNs] - Second highest median wage in the list at ~ $52,000.
- Teacher Assistants
- Combined Food Prep and Service, all types
- Office Clerks
- Sales Reps, Whsle and Mfg, Except Tech/Scientific Products - Highest median wages at ~$55,000.
- Laborers and Freight, Stock & Material Movers, Hand
- Stock Clerks and Order Fillers
An additional 10 jobs are also designated as producing relatively high numbers of job openings. They are primarily of a service nature.
- Mainstream Secondary & Elementary School Teachers - Excludes vocational.
- Child Care Workers
- Executive Secretaries & Administrative Assistants
- Receptionists & Information Clerks
- Truck Drivers - Heavy Trucks and Tractor-Trailer
- Counter Attendants and Cafeteria, Food Concession & Coffee Shop
- Customer Service Representatives
- Secretaries - Excludes Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Clerks in Bookkeeping, Accounting & Auditing
Destiny USA Mall
Syracuse Destiny Project
Under this project, this Syracuse complex is promoted as a "destination retail city." Renovation and construction planning include a 75,000,000 square foot retail, hotel, and entertainment complex to boost tourism and hospitality industries as well as local shopping from all over the US.
The city previously has been called the Crossroads of America, because of its location near major transportation routes via land, rail, air, and water. Under the Destiny project, this "Mall of America" type of complex is being completed to increase the economy and local jobs. Faciltiies are being constructed of recycled construction materials and a 22 MegaWatt sustainable power plant is the heart of the project. A green-powered mall is open and hotels and other additions are under construction.
Destiny USA mall is built at the Carousel Mall Site. It is located a short three miles from downtown Syracuse in the midst of abundant transportation options. The Central New York Hancock Airport is ten minutes away by car and
The William F. Walsh Regional Transportation Center is within walking distance and includes a hub for Amtrak rail service and Greyhound & Adirondack Trailways buses. Another transportation service connects the mall with Armory Square, a top entertainment hub downtown Syracuse and with Syracuse University.
Other Views of the Mall
Largest Employers in Syracuse
- New York State Public Assistance Division #2
- SUNY Upstate Medical and Syracuse University Health Systems
- Syracuse University
- New Process Gear Inc.
- St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center
- P & C Food Markets
- Lockheed Martin - A member of the NASA Commercial Crew.
- Crouse Hospital
Higher Education in Syracuse
- Bryant And Stratton College- Main Campus in Syracuse
- Central Tech Nursing Program
- College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- Crouse Hospital School Of Nursing
- Le Moyne College
- Onondaga Community College
- St Josephs College Of Nursing At St Josephs Hospital Health Center
- Suny Empire State College for Adults
- Suny Health Science Center At Syracuse
- Syracuse University -- Syracuse University Athletics
In addition to these top schools, Syracuse offers five public vocational centers and 24 private vocational/technical certification schools.
Nursing Programs In Syracuse
The demand for highly qualified Registerd Nurses is quite high in Syracuse and Onondaga County and healthcare faciltites are among the area's largest employers.
The Central Tech Nursing Program offers a 2-year LPN, Licensed Practical Nursing curriculum preparatory to RN programs at other area schools. The Crouse Hospital School Of Nursing offers a 2-year Associated Degree as a Registered Nurse. The SUNY Health Sciecne Center offers the RN and BSN options as well, as does Syracuse University.
A lucrative career can be found in the nursing profession in and around Syracuse, from training, certification, and continuing education to high paying wages and benefit packages and opportunities for advanced employer-paid training and promotions.
NY State Fair, Syracuse
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS