- Business and Employment»
- E-Commerce & How to Make Money Online
Transfer a Domain from GoDaddy & Domains by Proxy
Find a Better Domain Registrar
Many Reasons to Change Domain Registration
There are many reasons to change a domain registration for a web address especially if it currently resides inside of GoDaddy and protected by Domains by Proxy. However, it can be a difficult process depending on the company that you are currently associated with as some of them deploy little tricks to make it difficult to move to another registrar while others make the process simple and painless. In order to transfer a domain from GoDaddy & Domains by Proxy, make sure you have a little time on your hands, because it can be tricky and even a long frustrating process. If you have unfortunately signed up for private registration through GoDaddy's service which is administered by a third party company Domains by Proxy, then hopefully you still have your email with the account information when first registering with the service, otherwise the solution to getting control back over domains that are rightfully owned may take as long as 6 months. You will be able to get the property back eventually and take comfort in knowing you are not alone. If you do not have a private registration than the transfer will happen quickly and in a matter of days depending on the authorization process.
Take a deep breath and get ready to be amazed at the attempts to keep the domain under their control, while you transfer a domain from GoDaddy & Domains by Proxy. There is lots of good information on the web about other GoDaddy users and the experiences that they have had with Domains By Proxy.
Registration Transfer without Privacy
Removing a domain from the Godaddy system and transferring it to a better domain registration service is fairly easy if you have not selected the privacy option. Now before moving forward know that Godaddy wants this process to be difficult even the simple help section has 11 links to additional help sections to complete the process, so pour a cup of coffee and be prepared for a slow and arduous process. If you are very comfortable with working in the control panel and understand what is required to transfer a domain it should be fairly straightforward.
- They first ask you to notify your administrative contact, however if you purchased the domain that is just yourself and if your contact information is correct you can proceed.
- Unlock the domain so that it can actually be allowed to leave the system.
- To unlock the domain - log into the account manager
- Go to Domains and click launch to open up the domain panel
- Select the domain that you want to transfer, go ahead and do yourself a favor and select them all
- Click the lock and unlock them.
- Next get an Authorization code to transfer the domain.
- Again log in to the account manager, go to domain and click launch
- Select the domain, click on the Authorization Code section and select send by email, click ok twice and the domain authorization code will be emailed to the administrative contact on file.
- Go to the new domain registrar that you plan on using and initiate the transfer based on the steps they outline.
- Enter the authorization code and allow the process to occur. It can take up to 5-7 days.
Worst Domain Registrar Company?
Is GoDaddy the worst company to have a domain with?
Remove Domain By Proxy Privacy
If you happen to be an unlucky soul that has a domain with GoDaddy and use the privacy feature provided by the service Domain By Proxy "DBP" and you do not have access to the email and password when the account was initially set up, good luck. If you have the account information saved then it is a quick process, just remove the privacy selection prior to unlocking the domain and proceeding with the transfer request.
Removing the DBP security protection without access to the account information requires a lot of work and possibly a long time delay. There is a process that a user can use to still gain access to the account by providing Domains by Proxy copies of identification and other paperwork, however many people have been unsuccessful in ever getting this process to work. Is this domain really important to you will be a question that crosses your mind while discussing the issue with reps on the phone.
The best solution to withdraw a domain from this hold is to simply create a second GoDaddy account and transfer the domains to each other which is possible without removing the privacy feature. The domain will be held for 6 months but then free and easy to process out with the regular transfer procedures outlined above for moving domains.