career limiting moves
CAREER LIMITING MOVES
In the last week one of my colleagues, Fara got fired from her job just after four months of her appointment as a history teacher in the school. She called me and told me about the news; she was really worried and desperate. She told me that it was her sixth job in two years of her professional life. She admitted that she could not survive any of these six jobs for whole one year. It was really unfortunate and even frustrating for a person who has master’s degree and did not have a job.
She was unable to understand the causes for which she got fired. She asked me to figure out as a third person and help her to amend anything wrong on her part which leads her to job loss. Hopefully she would also read these observations with open heart and try to amend herself, that she can have a stable job. Nutshell of my experience of job:
“That is your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.”
When some one else is promoted, we often wonder where we went wrong. Why she? Why not me? All these questions hit our mind but we often fail to realize is that despite our best efforts, we may have been behaving in a manner that has effected our career progression negatively. Here some reasons are given, which are actually working like the stones in our ways of success.
Some career damaging behaviors
There is no justification for dishonesty and no matter how harmless that little white lie may be, it will tarnish your reputation in the long run.
Rude behavior, snubbing coworkers, especially those junior to you, and intentionally belittling others creates ill feelings and leave a negative impression about you in people’s mind, especially the people who matter.
Do keep abreast with what’s going on, but be neutral and stay away from politics at all costs. Avoid choosing sides and joining a camp. This can hurt your career simply by associations.
Loose lips sink ships
Tactless comments, inappropriate personal remarks and cross jokes are irresponsible, disrespectful and will reflect poorly on you. Behave in a diplomatic and respectable way with your colleagues and co workers.
Tardiness, absenteeism and delays in work can be over looked in awhile, but perpetual discipline will make people question your work ethic
InsincerityYour colleagues will respect you more if you show commitment and sincerity towards your work. Lack of sincerity, especially if it impacts your performance and lets the team down, will lead to loose the confidence about your commitment with the organization.
Zip up your lips
Zip your lips otherwise they will zip your future ways of success. Means do not talk a lot as it is said,’use your ears more than your tongue.
Avoid the company of seniors
Avoid the company of your seniors and if you sit between them just listen them but do not indulge yourself in any type of discussion related to office or your colleagues. In that way you would understand the different aspects of your job and colleagues even the inside stories of the institute. But don’t be the character of any story.
Do not measure every thing in monetary terms; negotiating a promotion only for the sake of financial gain may compel your boss to reconsider your promotion. Some times your free service for your institute really proves fruit full for your future. So avoid this type of behavior when you are a new employer.
High strung behavior and frequent outbursts are unprofessional and suggest that you may be unable to handle pressure and hence unfit to hold a position of authority.
People who make an effort to look presentable and well kept at work often perceived to be more conscientious and detail oriented, so make sure you dress well.
After the discussion of career damaging behavior we need to learn the tact’s, to make our boss happy that really matters for stability; and to get promotion in that institution.
Ways to Please Your Boss
· Arrive 5 minutes earlier than usual.
· Avoid being absent more than twice a month.
· Try to have a perfect attendance for one whole month! No lates. No under time.
· Don’t get caught napping.
· Scribble something while on a meeting as though you’ve noted every word he said.
· Nod at least twice in a meeting.
· Greet him in the morning.
· Greet him on his birthday.
· Minimize grammatical errors in your report.
· Come up with a brilliant idea once in a while.
· Let him take credit.
· Put words into his mouth when he’s already embarrassing himself talking about nonsense things.
· Thanks him for his leadership.
· Defend him from nasty officemates.
· Organize your working papers.
· Make a mess of your table so you won’t appear idle and have nothing to do.
· Be sensitive to your boss’ mood and temper.
· No matter how silly some of his ways may appear to you, never lose your respect.
· Appreciate his strengths (everybody has one, you know).
· Have a healthy sense of humor.
· Be a bridge of understanding between your boss and your officemates.
· Don’t cite his errors directly or disrespectfully, especially in front of his superiors.
· Attend seminars and update him with timely and useful information.
· Help organize the system within your department to minimize bottlenecks and duplication of work performed.
· Share a hobby.
· Be proactive. Furnish him with reference materials he can use.
· Keep him updated with the status of your work. Not so much however as to waste his precious time.
· Be resourceful. Avoid asking unnecessary questions.
· Mentor him. Let him be promoted so you wouldn’t suffer his face anymore.
· Inspire him to look for another job. Tell him he is already too good for the company.
· If he is not a good leader, let his discover his true calling. You will lose a boss but gain a friend.
· If he is a good follower, be his true leader and advise him on useful matters.
· Invite him over to dinner.
· Discover something that would boost his self-esteem.
Be the follower of a philosophy
Follow the wisdom of old people, and avoid all those ways which brings disaster in his/her life. Try to learn the lessons of success from observations more than experiences. Here are some job motivational quotes of some great persons, which are actually the gist of their lives. Try to follow any saying which you like most, and be the part of a philosophy, which really paves your ways of success.
Philosophies which makes my career:
“A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”
“If you have lemon, make lemonade.”
“Do or die.”
Job Motivational Quotes
One important key to success is self confidence. An important key to self confidence is preparation.
Only undertakes what you can do in an excellent fashion. There are no prizes for average performance.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Our talents are the gift that God gives to us... What we make of our talents is our gift back to God.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Our work is the presentation of our capabilities.
Be honest with yourself, analyze your self in every step of job every step of your life to amend your self and follow your dreams, because you wouldn't want it so bad if you couldn't have it. The universe gives you these dreams because you can have them. If you're willing to work for it, you can have anything you want. This is the story of success in your field of work. Either you are posted on a high rank or a lower rank. These steps really make your life.
Really try to follow above mention tact’s and behavior that really helps you to achieve your goals of life.
copyright ©Asma iftikhar