jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to sell your art and put food on the table.

1. The Real Tomato profile image64
    The Real Tomatoposted 9 years ago

How to sell your art and put food on the table.

2. brandonfowler66 profile image78
    brandonfowler66posted 8 years ago

Simple, sell on ebay,craigslist,classifieds etc
    everything you need to know
    http://freeadvertisingforall.weebly.com

3. lakeerieartists profile image77
    lakeerieartistsposted 8 years ago

This is a question I ask myself every day.  I have been an artist for 15 years, and now I own a gallery.  It takes a lot of consistent hard work to earn a real income, but it can be done.

4. Courtney James profile image53
    Courtney Jamesposted 8 years ago

A few years back...

A few ideas from direct experience:

I had luck selling caricatures by renting space at the local college. People really love these and if you can draw them for less then $50 bucks a piece then you have a massive market.

Still... here's a piece of advice that applies to almost any business or any artist. Charge as much as you possibly can. You probably aren't going to make a oad of sales in art so you really need to play up the scarcity angle and charge what you're really worth.

Then when you make a sale keep in touch with the buyers any way you can. If they bought once then there's a darn good chance they'll buy again in the next two years.

The bottom line: In art you need to hustle to survive... this is why I choose a profession I love that's easier to sell to people.

Selling! Hah.

But if your heart is in it you'll make it. I had some major sales before I was a professional sales writer for hire.

Was even hired to do architectural renderings for a bit... Still, the most I ever made for a painting was $565 and for a watercolour... $400. So take my advice with a grain of salt... There's plenty more experienced artists out there.

Hope this mini-rant helps.

5. profile image43
    allseeingeyeposted 8 years ago

Meditate, learn the laws of attraction, stay positive, stay calm, and make sure your art is an expression of your higher self!

working