jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

If you get laid off from your job, how do catch up on all of your bills once you

1. luckygyrl1005 profile image53
    luckygyrl1005posted 9 years ago

If you get laid off from your job, how do catch up on all of your bills once you find work, and how do you juggle all of the past due bills?

2. Juliet Christie profile image80
    Juliet Christieposted 9 years ago

It is very hard to catch up. What you have to do is to make arrangement with your creditors and arrange to pay them in installments. You may have to juggle them pay one this month and the other next month.Then if the bill is a service you are still incurring if you can do with out the service put it on hold until you have the bill at a spot where you can manage it

3. profile image43
    daym1posted 9 years ago

The main thing is to remember this and begin a savings plan.  Everyone should have a nest egg for times like this.  One less latte is another 4 bucks in the bank!

4. shirleybill profile image56
    shirleybillposted 9 years ago

That is a tough question.
    First of all, you may want to contact the utility companies and make payment arrangements to avoid being disconnected.
    On cars, usually you can get the note ? (they add the note that is owed to the end of the note, which relieves you of having to pay that note). It takes this months payment and puts it on the end of your original contract. This can only be done once in one or two years though, so use it wisely.
    Sometimes if you talk to a land lord, property management, or real estate, they will let you pay out a month that is owed.

5. satansluvchild profile image58
    satansluvchildposted 8 years ago

My husband was laid off on February 27th.  He'll finally start a new job on June 22nd.  How did we do it?  Online banking allows you (for MOST banks) allows you to set up an auto transfer from Checking to Savings.  Every paycheck we were saving $150 between the 2 of us.  That's money we NEVER saw or worried about.

I also have Bank of America and use the "Keep-The-Change" program which rounds up all Debit purchases to the next dollar and transfers those cents from your Checking account to your Savings account.  I never use cash anymore to help facilitate more savings.

Also, although my husband has been unemployed, we have used less than $1,000 out of Savings for everyday bills and I still have $75.00 coming out of every paycheck automatically.  With today's technology, it doesn't take as much will power to save as in the past.

6. newcash101 profile image36
    newcash101posted 8 years ago

The first thing is to setup payment plans with as many bill collectors as possible then change your spending habits. I found things to sell on Ebay and that helped also.

Closed to reply

working