Why don't I get hired (50 years), with 20 years prof experience, skills and a un

1. gpinheiro profile image55
    gpinheiroposted 8 years ago

Why don't I get hired (50 years), with 20 years prof experience, skills and a university degree ?

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

It's your age.  We live in a very age-conscious society.  The employer is looking at how many years you have left to retirement rather than what you have to offer the company in terms of experience, knowledge, and skills.  There are some alternative methods of trying to secure a job.

1.  Is your profession one where you can hire yourself out as a consultant or on a per-job basis?

2.  Apply to companies that supply temporary help to other companies.  If a company likes your work, everytime they need someone they will request you.  Many times, it will lead to a permanent job somewhere.  The company finds that they like your work and your personality; and, they decide to hire despite you being 50.  Don't forget that places like Universities have their own temporary services; so, you apply directly at the University.  They keep you working on campus only.

3.  Do a bit of volunteer work.  This can lead to a job from people who are able to view your work ethic.

Good luck.

3. gpinheiro profile image55
    gpinheiroposted 8 years ago

Thank you pippap for your reply.
    I have already applied to many companies that supply temporary help to other companies without success.
    I am a translator and have advertised my activity to many companies, in newspapers, etc. without success. I have work but it is neither enough nor estimulating in terms of professional satisfaction and money.
    Here in Portugal when I apply to jobs 50km away from home, employers say it is too far and don't even consider the possibility of hiring me. University is 100km from home so I don't consider that possibility, too. I will try your other suggestions.

Closed to reply

working