I was working on a house for rent but the house was condemned and I couldn't mov

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. profile image51
    cknox01posted 8 years ago

    I was working on a house for rent but the house was condemned and I couldn't move in.  How do I...

    get my wages owed to me for my labor?

  2. sarasca profile image69
    sarascaposted 8 years ago

    Unless you have a written agreement stating that your work on the house would be performed in exchange for rent, you have practically no legal redress available.

    Did you and the house owner agree that your work would be at an hourly rate of "X" dollars per hour, to be converted to the amount of the monthly rent, and that your work would substitute for cash?

    Did anyone witness the verbal arrangements between yourself and the house owner with regard to your working on the house in exchange for rent?

    Did the owner ever state to you that if you did not or could not move in, he/she would pay you the cash equivalent of what you would possibly be owed for the work performed?

    Either way...even if you have a written document guaranteeing that you would be paid an hourly rate for the work you did...you would still have to hire a lawyer and take the house owner to court.  If you won your case, the judge might also award you attorney's fees as part of the settlement, but it's highly likely that HALF the cost of an attorney would be less than what you would be owed for the work you did.  Most attorneys won't touch a case like that.

  3. KS Baker profile image61
    KS Bakerposted 8 years ago

    Do you have a signed contract showing the details of your agreement?  Do you have any proof that you were working on this house?  Do you have receipts where you purchased materials to work on this house?

    You agreed to work for rent not hourly wages, so this could complicate things for you. Did you have an agreement for what you would be paid if you did not live in the house? 

    Many lawyers will give you a free consultation.  However, I do not see a lawer taking this case becaus e you must have unmistakable proof.

  4. JON EWALL profile image74
    JON EWALLposted 7 years ago

    GET A COPY OF THE VIOLATIONS THAT RESTRICT YOU FROM MOVING INTO THE HOUSE. IF YOU CAN  finish the work to remove the violations, make sure you have a legal agreement with the owner as pointed out by other hubbers. Set a value of how much your work is worth. get in writing the terms and lenght that you can stay in the house. Who will pay taxes and utilities?
    If the house has potential value increases get a option to buy at whatever the house is worth or negoiate a low price. Negotiate if any rent you pay will be credited to the sale of the house.

    If all fails, a lawyer may consider if there is a chance to make big bucks.
    good luck


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)