What was your most horrible job you ever had?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (58 posts)
  1. TONYKIARIE profile image53
    TONYKIARIEposted 14 years ago

Please tell the universe

2. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Hi Universe. How's it going? Good? Good. Um, being a Dishwasher at a restaurant. Yikes, but I hated that job! big_smile

1. Black Lilly profile image61
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what about being a sheep? big_smile

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's not a job; that's an adventure.... lol

3. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

I did telemarketing for about a day and a half. I quit because I couldn't stop throwing up.

1. profile image0

Yeah, that would be gross talking to someone who couldn't finish their spiel because they're hurling.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, b/c of the scam involved with that particular spiel, the moral issue made me physically ill . . . but didn't hurl during calls.

1. profile image0

The pressure , I hear, is also incredible.

Like I said, a day and a half. Wasn't really there long enough to get a feel for the pressure.

1. profile image0

Best that way. I heard from a friend of mine that it was unbearable.

2. kephrira profile image62
          kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here, I did telesales and hated it. Spending all day trying to manipulate and deceive people whilst a manager tries to force you to be happy by shouting "smile while you dial" at you every 5 minutes is my idea of hell.

Wow, 'smile while you dial'. If I had that boss I would've literally strangled him. then I'd be smiling:)

2. Google Gal profile image62
      Google Galposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Telephone Sales was fun for me , until i got the job for the MDA , then I almost threw up!I had to call people up and run off this speal about them getting arrested , supposed to get their attention but mostly made people mad. anyway then I say I'm from the march of dimes and get them to agree to be arrestetd for a day as some kind of benefit or something , (as fund raiser I forget the exact specifics)anyway , every time we got someone to agree we had to jump up and yell "Superlicious!" in a room with like 50 people who are all doing the same thing.. imagine that...noisy as hell.. O.K  , so I sat there and pretended to make calls until first brake then,  politley got the hell outta there! worst job I ever had!

4. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

i worked in a laundry place and was paid based on the activity for the day

5. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I used to put microwave ready meals into little boxes all day and everyday, never ending the ready meals kept coming along on the conveyer belt and they talked to me and said I was useless and I had to decide there and then that working for myself was the best option!

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I worked in a ricefield (my parents own it) and I have to check on the people working in mud, walking through it under the sun..

7. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I worked in a flower shop one summer. I thought I'd just be working the cash register, but the owner had me staying out in the hot sun all day, carrying boxes and picking the dead leaves off of the plants. I then quit that job and ended up teaching music at a sleepaway arts camp. The job itself was rewarding, but the people who ran this camp were insane ... which made it a not-so-great experience.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

People who do truly awful, physical labor, jobs won't understand how bad this could have been, but when my kids were babies I tried to earn extra money by taking an evening-hours "word processing" job (that's what they called "typing into a word processing machine" back then).  It was a night-time, word processing, "slave shop"  lol  lol  People were talked to "like dirt".  I mean, really, really, demeaning.  They counted the number of words people typed.  It was THE worst!  I don't remember if I lasted a week or not - maybe 4 days.

9. Wonder_Woman profile image58
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

dealing with calls that come in from all over the world, offer them medical assistance for the most dumbest things, bruises, colds, someone got their pee pee stuck in a bottle, little scratches, call after call after call and it never ends, every day

10. Frugal Fanny profile image59
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

Picking staples and other bindings out of documents, 6 days a week from 6am to 6pm.

1. dejajolie profile image59
      dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that tops it for me! Yikes!

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Topping and suckering tobacco!!

12. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

I was one of the  dishwashers in the college I attended.
    My brothers and friends would dump all their trays in a large pile ,in the window,full of food, and laughed,as they ran away!
    Not fun!sad

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

fiberglass

14. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It was one my Dad gave me. We lived in a mobile home, Iknow,Iknow, save it! In the winter we would have snow up level with the porch and every winter the sewer pipe would seperate under the trailer. We wouldn't catch it until a significant amount had found it's way all over under the trailer. Well I'm the only boy in the family so it became my job. First I'd dig out the door in normally below freezing temperatures. Then I would climb thru everything on my hands and knees and get the sewer line back together. Then I had a broken shovel and a bucket and started scraping and hauling. When it was all cleaned out, usually a couple of hours, I'd put out lye all under the trailer. Then I'd go to the back steps and undress because my mom wouldn't let me in in those clothes. My Dad would call me his frozen sh__ sicle and laugh. That was a real bummer!

1. dohn121 profile image82
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a sh***y job lol

15. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

It's a toss-up between doing dishes in a fraternity kitchen
    and
    making wooden pallets with a nail gun.

16. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I enjoyed welding, machining and retail management when I was younger. But the worst job I had was selling funeral and cremation packages pre-need.

17. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I worked as a carhop in Santa Fe - people were outrageously mean, both customers and bosses.  I walked out one day as the snow began to fall and there was no way home except to walk about 3 miles.  A real learning experience. sad

18. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

Collections...worst job ever, I only lasted 3 months.

19. Bibowen profile image87
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

I worked in a cannery as a temp job years ago while transitioning from one state to the next. I didn't want to just sit around and wanted to pick up a few dollars. It wasn't hard work, mostly lifting boxes and crates. No sooner had I started when the usual suspects descended on me like vultures berating me for working so hard. I didn't know you could fit so many chumps in such a small work area....

"You're making us all look bad," they said, for which I thought "I could do nothing and you'd still look bad."

Anyway, this went on constantly, trying to get me to slow down. I didn't know slackers could moralize so much about all the good reasons they had for doing nothing.

I thought later "you know, if these guys were as enterprising about doing their job as they were at stopping me from doing mine, they'd probably own the shop by now."

I didn't last long at doing that--I think only about a week.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats the sign of an honest man, you gave your employer a fair measure for the money offered. I would work with you anytime.

20. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Worst job.  lol  I've had soooo many jobs and many of them were awful in different ways.

Worst situation, though, and I remember I didn't think I was going to get through--was when I first moved to Iowa City for grad school in art.  I didn't have any money, and was attempting to work three jobs:  One as a temp graphic designer, one calling around for donations for this organization called ICAN (think they are still around, and they are a joke, albeit for liberal causes, wink), and one in a box factory. 

Inside the box company it was about 110 degrees and we had to throw boxes up over our heads.  I don't think I'd eaten that day, either, and it was like being in hell, it was so hot.  I sure didn't want to do it, but I ended up passing out on the factory floor.  One of the only times I've ever done that.  I remember they woke me up and gave me 7-Up. lol  Yeah, I didn't last long on that particular job.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you have Iowa in your blood? Sorry, thats surprising in a good way, I don't mean to change directions.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean, Sneako?  I'm from the Midwest...Omaha.  Lived in Iowa for in total, 4 years, I guess.  Definitely Midwestern, lol.  But Iowa City is a very liberal, liberal place, wink.  University town.  And Omaha is going that way, too.

21. archdaw profile image60
    archdawposted 14 years ago

All Jobs are horrible, because it is just that a Job (pain in the ass), but I do go to work and I love it!!!

22. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

when I was 15/16 I worked before school in a small donut shop...it was living , greasy, ick...and I went to school smelling like that place every day

23. bukan profile image61
    bukanposted 14 years ago

Working as a waiter / caterer for being possessed a Software Professional degree. smile I never hate any job except it will never underestimate myself.

24. SEGREEN profile image58
    SEGREENposted 14 years ago

Frugal Fanny.. I can't understand why people have to staple 2 pieces of paper 5 times..

It wasn't the job that was horrible it was the manager..

It was my first TEMP job over a year a go.. and this manager would yell at me about the "REC" it took me a while to figure out what she was talking about.. cuz I wasn't trained about this REC (reconciliation report)..  I eventually cleaned off the report and one day when I asked.. I told her there aren't any items..  she told me to "Tell that story to someone who cares"  I said "you asked.. so obviously you cared"  somehow she didn't like me.. I went there with my stuff straight.... I conquered my responsibilities and task without lil training.. and she told me one day I wasn't needed anymore.. twas the best news of my life.. before I left I told the other employees to be careful how they treat people..  Yea.. she's still evil.. just 2 wks ago she released a single mother who's in school.. and hired a friend's sister to do scanning.. But the young singer mother is doing quite well in school and will get her Nursing Degree in June 2011. This woman will meet her own demise..

25. nadine_stowne profile image61
    nadine_stowneposted 14 years ago

Janitor... while I highly respect the janitors that I know, I never want to do that again!

26. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

cleaning used golf balls from 2 to 5am every night to be repacked and sold as used before duh?

27. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

okay since I have only done three kinds of jobs, two being in a Preschool, the most horrible job was my first job way back in HS like 17 I think I was...when I became a waitress at The Gateway a retirement home that was walking distance from my house. UGH! It was HORRIBLE!

28. samsbr profile image41
    samsbrposted 14 years ago

Cooking LOL

29. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

This one girl had really rough hands...

1. profile image0

lol

2. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Better rough hands than a rough tongue. I still have nightmares and it's not from kissing her. Ouch. Sandpaper tongue!

30. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

Asbestos Remover!!! Beat that haha.

31. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

A chicken slaughter house, ridiculous job. Death to chickens!

32. Bail Up ! profile image60
    Bail Up !posted 14 years ago

In college I worked at a Mexican Restaurant. My job was to pit avocados, hundreds of them during my shift. Thats all I did. I last a whooping 3 days before I walked off. lol

33. efeguy profile image41
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

working as a marketing officer in a micro finance bank without a car to take me around.very stressful

34. Bredavies profile image61
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

Abercrombie (It doesn't SOUND bad but...)

I have to deal with snobby rich people all day! They come in and make a mess of the store. I also have to buy a uniform, listen to ear drum breaking music, smell the perfume..Oh and they spray this perfume "FIERCE" every hour, and I get paid 7.25 and hardly any hours.

1. profile image0

But, you have a job big_smile

35. europewalker profile image79
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Collections call center,with hourly rah rah go team go rants. I lasted one day.

36. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

when i was a bank teller. you would think it would be fun, which it is, until you don't do something a customer tells you to do, or don't give them their money, then it's horrible.

there was this one really old guy who was supposedly super rich, although you couldn't tell by looking at him. plus he terrorized the tellers. i worked part-time so i was always off-site when he came to do business. well one day i had no classes so i worked a full day and there was Mr. Coors in line, looking all grumpy and i thought "please don't get in my line ohpleaseohplease" and sure enough he gets in my line, so i smile warmly and greet him and he THROWS his passbook at me and says "get my balance NOW" and i'm like um ok...so i get it and print it out and he says "write it in my passbook!"

tellers are not allowed to write anything in a customer's passbook because if there is a discrepancy down the road, the bank will get blamed for it. so i politely told him that we were not allowed to write in customer's passbooks and he starts to go off like a cannon, sputtering "do it now!" etc. and i stood my ground because that was drummed into us from Day One, and he starts yelling for the manager and the manager, Steve, was a real wimp and he aplogizes to this guy while he is screeching at me, all red in his face going "you belong on a cleaning crew you incompetent idiot" blah blah blah, and Steve goes and writes in his passbok and totally didn't got my back, which ticked me off.

if i had been the manager i would have slipped the printed balance in his passbook and explained bank policy and defended my tellers, but then again i am not a wimp.

so that was a crappy job, just for that reason.

37. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

Surrogate Mother

38. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

call center. *shutter* worked one day and quite.  Though I did drive a taxi for a couple nights and called it quits too but that was pretty fun. big_smile

39. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i think i would like to be a taxi driver just once - i bet it is kind of interesting smile

i would wear a chauffer's outift and dark glasses.

40. profile image58
    fraziertlposted 14 years ago

I worked with my dad for awhile.  He owned his own moving company, and it was my job to have to go to the peoples house, and pack it up.  That was the worst job, and back breaking.  That is not to mention the I worked at Burger King for about 3 days, and the first night was changing the fryer vat.  That was so gross all the old grease.  I told myself never again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)