jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are ways to become really successful as a makeup artist?

1. MissCellaneous profile image57
    MissCellaneousposted 7 years ago

What are ways to become really successful as a makeup artist?

I'm really considering becoming a makeup artist. I would love to do beauty makeup as well as character makeup.. being able to age a person.. stuff like that. I think it would be so much fun and makeup is my passion. I was wondering if you have any tips on how to be successful as that. I know it's a hard area to be successful in, but I'm willing to do anything to make it smile

2. realfree profile image59
    realfreeposted 7 years ago

Don't forget to watch classic movies. There are many examples in classical movies. It's a good idea if you are discuss with makeup artist.

3. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Being good will help.  The rest is connections.

You should get to know professional fashion photographers and also volunteer to do some make-up for model tests in return for shots for a portfolio.  It costs everyone but everyone wins.  Get to know some stylists because they can bring you job leads.

Fashion and film and TV are all quite different, because of the different lighting, so you may want to specialize. There's a lot of competition these days.

Professionals in the photography and film biz wear black.  Start building up your black wardrobe.

If you have no experience in make-up taking some courses would really help.  There's a lot to know.

4. beauty guru profile image56
    beauty guruposted 7 years ago

its a ruff world, i' am an artist in Los Angeles theres thousands of us in L.A alone. It hasnt been easy. Okay soo the key is to never give up do free shoots to get ur port on a roll. As well as events and runway anythig to get your self out there that will get you connections. Give your card to everyone, word of mouth is everything to get your name out there.

after a while your port will speak and people will call you for all type of events and you will start making profit, gather your connection and dont give then to anyone. create a resume and apply with big names, loreal, rimmel, and the master house mac. And once your n it doesnt get easier people can be mean and demanding. but the pay is awesome and the fun of doing makeup is all worth it.

5. profile image57
    liuchao0420posted 3 years ago

The best way you can choice an agency to help you, There are more chances, Backstage Agency is one of them : http://www.backstageagency.fr/

working