jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What are the misconceptions that people have about highly successful and highly

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What are the misconceptions that people have about highly successful and highly accomplished people?

2. danijean99 profile image61
    danijean99posted 4 years ago

Hmm, there are many misconceptions but usually by jealous people or simply haters.  Some misconceptions are that they paid someone, they slept with someone to get to the top, or they knew someone.  People these days who become successful are doing it the hard honest way, simply by doing research and working hard.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is always THE HATER and those who are FAILURES and UNSUCCESSFUL and other NEGATIVE types who are ENVIOUS and JEALOUS of those who are successful .  You are ON TARGET with your answer.  Totally in agreement!

2. danijean99 profile image61
      danijean99posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much!  So true.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

They're "selfish", "egotistical", "demanding", "greedy", "power hungry", "snobs".
    The reality is they often start businesses, create jobs for the economy,set up charitable foundations, give aid to third world countries, take on global initiatives, pay more in taxes than most people will (earn) in a lifetime. It's damn near impossible to become rich in a free society without others benefiting in some way. The simple act of (buying) anything provides jobs for people who manufacture it creating a domino effect on the economy.
    They are both admired and hated for the same reasons! Deep down everyone wants to be financially independent and have the freedom to live life on their own terms. This is the underlying reason why people buy lotto tickets, pursue college degrees, or invest in stocks, mutual funds, and real estate. Everyone wants to get "ahead" in life. However it's a major psychological conflict to want to achieve the status of  "the 1%" while at the same time sipping on "haterade" and cursing them. Your subconscious mind will never allow you to become what you despise!

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ooooouch,Mr. Dashing, oooouch!  So ON TARGET, it's hurts!TRUE,have you ever noticed that people who have a negative attittude towards money and success,AREN'T successful yet they DEMONIZE those who are highly successful. Attitude=action=outcome!

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 4 years agoin reply to this

LOL! gmwilliams! You are too funny.
      You are so right about the haters. They are always negative!

4. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

Speaking from my own life as a woman, when I was working and married to my ex, I can say that people didn't believe I was successful based on my merit but his.  Walking in to a women's fashion store and the owner wanted my ex's permission for me to buy expensive suits.  After pulling out a wad of $100 bills from my Dooney & Burke, he had nothing left to say.  (I felt like Pretty Woman there for a minute.)  I also had a similar experience at a jeweler where I was ready to throw down money on a sapphire ring for my grandmother and they told me I couldn't afford it.

I worked in a prestigious career with the top 50 people according to the field I was in.  A lot of people thought I couldn't possibly be so smart and wanted to know what degrees I had filling my walls and what universities attributed to my success.

When I raised money for the town food pantry, people didn't want me to work hard and earn the money.  They wanted me to hand over cash.  People forget that hard work is where the money comes from.

Also, when I bought a used car that looked brand new, rumors surfaced in the neighborhood that I lived high off the hog and snubbed my nose at people.  What they didn't know was I paid $2,000 under blue book value and it was older than their own car.  I'm just a smart shopper.

The biggest thing that is upsetting me currently is in my town, there is uproar about a piece of the town going bankrupt.  The loudest screechers are the ones that live in a $60,000 house that pay the least tax.  They are shouting from the daily news to make everyone in a more expensive house pay the biggest levy.  There are million dollar homes built on famed research corporations that have since left town.  Those home owners pay the most tax.  Why is it fair to always strike the rich down when someone else is careless with their money and is forced in to bankruptcy! 

The biggest atrocity to those that are highly successful are from the nay sayers that proclaim rich people live high off the hog!  This is the farthest thing from the truth.

As one who worked in corporate America and made top dollar, now I do not.  I stay home and take care of my child with Autism.  But nevertheless, I was never haughty, proud, or greedy.  People used to mistake those words with sophistication.