jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are we going to become a nation of temps?

1. plogan721 profile image83
    plogan721posted 7 years ago

Are we going to become a nation of temps?

I asked this question, because it came to me in an email I just received.   People are still being laid off, and plants are closing.   I was just curious, because it got me thinking about this question.  So what do you think?  Are we doing just that in this economy?

2. Right On Time profile image62
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

Yes, because corporations and private businesses can hire indispensable labour, not have to pay for leave and other conditions and delete them when they feel like it.

Too many people makes them spoilt for choice.

3. XRobertsbabyX profile image58
    XRobertsbabyXposted 7 years ago

It's just the recession right now. The scales are always tipping back and forth, but I doubt the future holds that kind of dreary job outlook. If we got a reign on illegal immigration and cracked down on companies hiring (taking advantage of) these illegals quality control would be a lot easier in the job market.

4. manthy profile image75
    manthyposted 6 years ago

I hope it does not get any worse than it already is.
    I don't think we will be a nation of temps I think Barack Obama will be re-elected and get our country flowing again.

5. Nights Dream profile image60
    Nights Dreamposted 5 years ago

I think it is the current economy. Companies find it cheaper and easier to hire temps than regular employees. They also find it easier to let them go vs. firing. That happened to me last year.

When the job market turns around, regular employees will be more in demand because more people will have a choice on which job will pay the bills.

If anything, I believe we will become a nation of small companies and freelancers. I say this because it is possible for anyone to make a side business out of a hobby. Hub Pages being a great example.

working