Do you believe working is a form of insanity?

1. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image57
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 7 years ago

Do you believe working is a form of insanity?

Think of it like this, you work, averagly 40 hours a week (well I do)

you force yourself to wake up in stupudly early hours

suffer lack of sleep through out the week

generally cant wait to go home

hate every moment of being at work

then tomorrow you do it all again

to me, this seems like a very sick and twisted form of self abuse, and there for i think going to work is a mental illness

any thoughts?

2. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Yes, that type of working does sound like insanity -- or a fast road to it -- to me. That was my life for a lot of years, and I finally decided that no one else was going to take steps for me to be happy, I'd have to take those steps on my own. It's still a process for most people, but the important thing is to start on it and begin making progress toward the kind of life you want to have. I went from a job I hated, that held no challenges for me, and where the pay was limited to a fairly low dollar amount per hour and of course limited to how many hours there were in a day. Now I write and market for a living, which I love, and I haven't set an alarm clock in four years. At first it was still a ton of work, but now I'm getting to the point where I've established myself and I know my own skills and strengths well enough to be able to work reasonable hours and make much better money than when I was working an outside job. Now I'm working on further improving that by sorting out my daily tasks and figuring out what I'm going to outsource to people who like them better than I do, and what I love to do and will continue doing myself.

In short...spending 1/3 or more of your life doing something you absolutely hate is certainly insanity, and no one is truly stuck in that unless they choose not to look for a way out and start taking steps in the right direction.

3. BuffyG profile image68
    BuffyGposted 5 years ago

I agree a lot with wychic, but also think that a lot of our angst about work comes from a negative and unrealistic mindset.
    Yes, getting up and going to work is hard and annoying, work colleagues might be petty and clients or customers completely stupid. However, compared to starving, working in open fields for all the daylight hours trying to grow enough food to support yourself, or working in bitter conditions such as in the coal mines without modern amenities, it is pretty awesome.
    So if you can't find work you love, work at loving the work you have, because I assure you there is someone in this world that would love to have the job you have.