jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can a private company be taken over? and if so, how?

1. meow48 profile image74
    meow48posted 7 years ago

Can a private company be taken over? and if so, how?

just looking for info for a story that I have been researching and failing miserably at.

2. wheelinallover profile image80
    wheelinalloverposted 7 years ago

According to every thing I know they can not be taken  over if you don't make changes before you want a change to occur.
    You can sell a business, and it can be taken over by the new owner but if your talking about anything like a hostile takeover these cannot happen.
    If you want to transfer a company to your spouse this can be easily done, and they (spouse) can take over a company whether you want them to or not, is my understanding.
    At the moment I am CEO of a corporation and I Know it can be taken over.
    If you are talking about you wanting your business to be taken over changing to a partnership or selling it are the easiest ways to go.
    If you still have questions you can contact me through my email account here on hubpages.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 7 years ago

depends on what take over means. Sorry if that is vague. The courts can take over your business in a sense. I've seen it done on Law & Order on TV. (smile) They seize all your profits / capital. Even though you are operating the business you do not profit from it.

4. lime light power profile image61
    lime light powerposted 7 years ago

I'm assuming you mean something like a corporate takeover of public company. If that's the case, no. Public companies are vulnerable to takeover because their ownership is public, traded on an exchange and their shares can be amassed by an individual or group.

The company itself is then governed by it's bylaws, which detail ownership rights - ie. how much stock do you need to own to have a majority voting interest, etc, etc...

Private companies work much the same way, however, if there is only one owner of the company, it cannot be taken over without that owner consenting (unless they've done something naughty and there is a court ordered mandate). If there are multiple owners than the individual owners must be individually contacted and their ownership interest purchased, although, again depending upon corporate bylaws this may or may not give you any control over the corporate operations.

Corporate law is very complex, but pretty basic to understand once you have the concepts down.

working