jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I've been asked to interview for a new job, but I'm suspicious. What do you thi

1. FranYo profile image59
    FranYoposted 6 years ago

I've been asked to interview for a new job, but I'm suspicious.  What do you think?

This job is for Hotels.com (division of Expedia).  In my town, Expedia is hiring over 500 new employees.
    What I'm suspicious about is that after training I will receive $9/hour plus commissions.  I just don't "get" the commissions part -- how would an employee get commissions for this industry?  I thought all reservations were made online, so herein lies the confusions....
    What do you think, Hubbers?  Should I go to the interview?

2. Writer David profile image79
    Writer Davidposted 6 years ago

You didn't say exactly what you will be doing at this company.  Is it online work? I would tend to think so.  So, the commissions would be most likely if you refer people to Hotels.com.  But, the hourly salary plus commission is strange, I admit.  If it is real world work, then I am not sure how the commissions would come into play. Its possible you would be answering phone calls about Hotels.com and if you persuade the caller to utilize their services, the commission could be made here.  Or, God forbid, it might be telemarketing work.

I would go to the interview.  But, I would also use common sense.  If everything they are telling you sounds too good to be true, then it probably is too good to be true. If they are making you feel uncomfortable, just get up and leave.  Jobs are tough to come by these days.  Before passing this up, try and do a little investigative work on the company. Contact your state employment agency for any information.  That would be a good place to start. Good luck to you.

3. FranYo profile image59
    FranYoposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your comments, Writer David.

The job is called a "Sales" position, and when I looked up Expedia & Hotels.com I, of course, just got the usual online pitch for the company (travel flights, reservations, rental cars) with no available career info.

Since Expedia et al has a new physical location here in town (they took over an old airport, for heaven's sake!), I'm assuming that this job must be a real job, probably online.  It wouldn't be troubleshooting via phone calls I would guess...I can only imagine that it's working to upgrade people's online reservations, but really, I'm still confused!

I'll take your advise and go check it out.  I'm not that interested in the money, but want to make better use of my time.  But for $9 per hour it's really not that "too good to be true", wouldn't you say?

4. Daffy Duck profile image61
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

If you don't have a job, don't be picky.  Go.

5. sangre profile image95
    sangreposted 6 years ago

Go for the interview but be wary. Don't agree to anything. That commision thing makes me think there might be something else involved like telesales. .

working