jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Have you ever had to lie?

1. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 6 years ago

Have you ever had to lie?

A lot of people when asked if they lie sometimes, I am sure so many would say no they had never lied. isn't a lie?

2. DonDWest profile image61
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

I confess, sometimes I have lied in past jobs to save people from embarassment. For example, a client calls in saying they want something done, but they have forgetten they have already completed that task a few days ago. So I "pretend" (lie), basically going through the motions, of completing a task that's already finished.

I often find this is the path of least resistance and is the best way to deliver customer service. I came up with this "technique" through experience. In my youth I told the truth and while it rarely happened, I ran at times ran into the attitude of the following, "what do you mean it's already done?!"

3. TCDesign profile image58
    TCDesignposted 6 years ago

Of course. But when I lie it is usually because I don't want to be blunt with someone and hurt their feelings...and this is usually with my "elders." It can be hard to be totally honest when there is a pretty obvious generation gap.

4. sanathara profile image60
    sanatharaposted 6 years ago

No,I don't prefer that either.Better to face problem by telling the truth rather than feel ashamed of by following wrong path.There is solution I follow Mahatma Gandhiji's ideology.I have read his auto-biography and was much impressed by his ideas about telling truth.Truth prevails.In fact,it's very easy to tell lie but you need strong will power to tell the truth.

5. rob_allen profile image83
    rob_allenposted 6 years ago

Yes. i have to admit that. I lied so many times. But i dont consider myself as a liar. I guess there is a thin line between a chronic liar and liar with good purpose.

6. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

every person i've ever met has lied. not one person can honestly say they have never lied, if they do, ironically ,they are lying.

7. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 6 years ago

lying is not a good thing to be known by but sometimes people do it anyway, sometimes to keep themselves or loved ones out of trouble, or to prevent one from over reacting if told the truth.
    I tell lies sometimes to save the people i love.
    for example, doctors lie to their patient just to give them hope and sometimes it makes them feel better...
    Yes i have lied and it is to save an unfavorable situations or to ameliorate predicted unpleasant situations.

8. profile image50
    James Gregposted 6 years ago

Of course everyone has to lie. There are many situations when telling the truth would land you in trouble and the only way out would be to lie. I have to lie many times and that's probably in my office. Being a part of the management I have had to lie many times to keep the production running.