Do you think that the level of customer service at retail stores is dropping?

1. POWERS1205 profile image73
    POWERS1205posted 6 years ago

Do you think that the level of customer service at retail stores is dropping?

2. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

At certain stores, yes, it is.  At other stores, I think it has gone up. 

Since the economy has been so terrible, there are many employees stuck at deadend jobs in retail and no one is going to be that pleasant in that situation.  Many managers are frustrated because sales are down and they take that out on the employees.  I have heard of cases of outright verbal abuse.  Yet, employees cannot leave because there are no other jobs.  When employees are unhappy, they are not going to go out of their way to make customers happy.  It is a downward spiral.

In some situations, some managers have become determined to bring in more customers and to get higher sales by insisting on more customer service.  To some degree, this is good.  Sales associates that approach the most people are given more hours.  Due to desperation for hours and money, sales associates have become a bit more aggressive at some stores.  In some ways, it works because the customer is getting more attention.  In other ways, it is really annoying because some people just want to walk in, grab an item, and leave without being hassled.

If the economy ever gets better, I don't necessarily see customer service getting a lot better, but it should improve.  When employees are treated better by management, get better hours, and get better pay, things are likely to improve at least some.

3. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

Yes and everywhere else , they don't seem to want customers anymore ,prefer you do it all online !!

working