Who ownes domain names?

1. Les Trois Chenes profile image90
    Les Trois Chenesposted 6 years ago

Who ownes domain names?

How is it that some people have managed to 'own' domain names? Who 'sold' them in the first place. I have recieved letters from some company saying that mine is back on the market in December and they are offering to sell it to me again for a set period of time. How do I know that they own it?

2. Dumbledore profile image89
    Dumbledoreposted 6 years ago

If you have not done business with the company then you may be the victim of a Social Engineering scam.  Typically, individuals register domain names with their Web Hosting Providers and should know who is hosting their sites.  The hosting service registers the domain names and bills the customer for the name. 

Most domain registrations are good for two years, the end of which time, the owner must pay to re-register the site.  Again, service providers often take care of the details automatically and bill the customer for the service.

3. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

you are never the owner of it ... in a way you can say you rent out the name for a certain period of time afterwhich it will run out ... most of the time it's a 1 or 2 year booking and you have to renew it at the end of the agreement.

just make sure it's the same company you first got the name with. do not pay any other company or affiliate or whatever they say. find out who you registered with and only pay the extension fee to them.