jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How many jobs have you had in the five years after graduating high school?

1. Cammiebar profile image76
    Cammiebarposted 6 years ago

How many jobs have you had in the five years after graduating high school?

I want to know if having more than five jobs in the five years after high school graduation is really bad.  I have had six, trying out different things and learning how to work in society.  Now that I am confident that I can hold a job for a long time, I am having trouble finding one due to my poor job retention.  Did you have this trouble?

2. rlaha profile image67
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

I could only keep a job for about 14 months.  The reason for me moving around so much was because I had a lot of personal issues.  I think after high school I had 2 jobs, but I was also in school at the time.

3. iamageniuster profile image75
    iamageniusterposted 6 years ago

I have had 7 jobs in 5 years after graduating high school. I just couldn't stay at a job longer than a few months.

4. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 6 years ago

In the five years after high school, I had five jobs however four of those were summer jobs that I worked during the months that I wasn't actively enrolled in college.  And by being in college and completing a degree, that too was demonstrating my work abilities.

How long you work at a job and why you choose to leave it is something that is very important to employers.  Turning over jobs quickly just because you want to try something different doesn't give a company confidence in hiring you because it shows you might quit at any time without much warning.  Hiring an employee is an investment by a company in a person and they want to hire people who have demonstrated they want to invest their time and efforts in that company. 

If you had taken only one or two jobs in that same five year period, stayed with those companies and worked steadily, gaining advancement or increased responsibilities within those companies over time, you'd be making a better impression on potential employers now.

5. Brian Baird profile image60
    Brian Bairdposted 6 years ago

I totally feel you on this one. I worked in a feast or fammine industry that isnt doing well in this economy I worked for 7 different companies in the fives in many cases layed off and then rehired several times. I currently dont work but when i get back into the work force im sure it wont be much different.

6. daedrea profile image60
    daedreaposted 6 years ago

none so far...but I am still looking. It's really hard to get one when going to school full time, but maybe it's just me sad

7. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

I graduated two years ago and have had two jobs. Working at a Chick-Fil-A restaurant, and an internship at a medical transcription company from home. At the restaurant for a year and a half, and the internship is almost over. On top of that, I'm a full time college student with 61 credits at Sam Houston State University.

working