jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Employers have begun asking for facebook User ID and password during an intervie

1. lifelovemystery profile image93
    lifelovemysteryposted 6 years ago

Employers have begun asking for facebook User ID and password during an interview. Would you comply?

I think this is a violation of personal privacy, what are your thoughts?

2. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

Privacy has been absolutely shredded over the past decade and will probably only get worse. I wouldn't ever hand over a password. That is just ridiculous. But, the reality is that employers are increasingly going to be looking at that type of information. If people have a public page it is best to keep it clean and assume that it is not at all private.

We need to make privacy, including genetic information, a fundamental right, to the point where any and all uses of private information need to be explicitly approved.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

I would give them my userID but never my password. That is my personal space. If they wish to look at my account, I would add them as a friend and allow them to see everything on my profile.
    Employers are not the only ones doing this. Students in public school are being forced to give their IDs and passwords under emotional stress.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No, I would not comply.  A prospective employer cannot ask a lot of personal questions and this is no different.  I agree that is is a violation of privacy.

5. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

though privacy left after 9/11, i would still tell them no. we have given up our privacy by listening to what the U.S. government wants but i still do whatever i can to keep mine and my families.if i really wanted the job, i would tell them i don't use facebook.

6. T. R. Brown profile image77
    T. R. Brownposted 6 years ago

Interestingly, I just read a CNET article on this very subject.  Facebook has indicated that it is actually against their use policy to provide that information.  Here is a direct quote from the article:

Companies making such requests may not have the right policies or training in place to deal with private information, according to Facebook. Further, companies might be held liable if the information they find proves problematic, such as a post that "suggests the commission of a crime."

Credit CNET March 23 "Facebook: Don't reveal your password to snooping employers"  by Lance Whitney

7. Riverfish24 profile image83
    Riverfish24posted 6 years ago

Definitely not! Why would they need access to your account anyways? Anybody can look up somebody's profile on FB unless they have pointedly blocked somebody out. That should be enough, if they do want to make some judgements on your Fbing habits, else giving out your password to an Employer is the most absurd idea.