jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would cobblestone streets more economical for cities to maintain then paved stre

1. davenmidtown profile image90
    davenmidtownposted 5 years ago

Would cobblestone streets more economical for cities to maintain then paved streets?

It seems that if you have a pot hole in a cobble stone street that it would be easier to fix then if you had to repave or fill defect in the driving surface. It also seems that it might be better on the environment if we used cobblestones or pavers instead of blacktop. Opinion?

2. Man from Modesto profile image83
    Man from Modestoposted 5 years ago

You might think so... until you consider that everytime there is an underground improvement, the street needs to get cut up to place underground utilities.

Here are some examples:

New cable technology for Internet & phone.

Gas line for a home improvement project

Sewer and storm lines for a new subdivision

ruptured water line

gas main leak

and other stuff...

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

They would be great looking but I don't think they would be more economical than asphalt.  The natural movement of the ground, particularly during the winter would make them uneven and dangerous.  Because the asphalt is bound together it will ride the upheaval and natural movement of the ground better --I think.

4. Bretsuki profile image79
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

I grew up in a town which still had some cobbled streets and though they may look attractive they are very impractical.

Cobbled streets are bad in cold or snow. Snow builds up between the cobble stones and turns to ice which is dangerous particularly for pedestrians.

Having a fall on cobbled streets is also very dangerous. Cobbles not being flat when you fall you have several areas of high pressure which can cause bones to break.

Cobbles also make steering on vehicles difficult inducing vibrations through the steering column as the wheels flip back and forth between cobblestones.

Also when it comes to maintainance cobble stones and paver tend to sink in highly used areas, causing ruts which are very difficult to repair satisfactorily and if your car or van is caught in those ruts it can be very difficult to steer out of them.

So I vote against both cobblestones and pavers for road surfacing in most areas.

working