This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How much does it cost to work?

1. alocsin profile image86
    alocsinposted 6 years ago

How much does it cost to work?

Adding up commuting expenses, lunches outside, work clothes, etc, how many dollars does it cost you to work?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

That is a really interesting question and one a lot of people don't consider before taking a job.

My work cost me very little I work 5 miles from the house so I fill my gas tank maybe very 4 weeks for $70.00.

I work 2 days a week for 5 hours at a time and the boss usually buys lunch one of the two days, but I take a $10 bill for lunch.

I wear my regular clothing, jeans and a T-Shirt--not cost there.  I am an independent contractor so I have to pay my own FICA which is still 13.65% (I think) $81.90 for the month.

So all total it costs me $192 per month for a part time job that makes me $600 per month. Wow - I might as well stay home! Net pay $408!  OUCH

3. davenstan profile image72
    davenstanposted 6 years ago

It would cost me $600 a month for daycare for my two children, $70 a week for gas. Lunches on Friday $10 a week. That is just too much money.

4. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

This question is one of those that gets people to stop and think....get the paper and pencil out and really do some serious calculating.  My guess would be, the facts would shock some people. 
    I am always discussing this subject with young parents of children under 5 (when they usually begin school)   The clear and accurate answer to this question can be an enormous factor in deciding whether both parents should work out side the home, or not.....OR, one of them work part-time, or perhaps can they work opposite shifts to avoid the high cost of childcare?  There is much to consider. 
    As a baby-boomer, no matter how I sturggle to understand that more often than not, both parents must work.....it will always go against my strong opinions on this.
    Retired now, this is not one of my personal concerns.......but I have more time to preach (nag) to my kids about maybe one of them "staying home" until the kids are off to school!! lol...   They listen....and then they laugh.  "Mom, get out of the 60's...you gotta be kidding!!"    Oh well, I try.

5. collegedad profile image76
    collegedadposted 6 years ago

I spend $160/month on gas and work related expenses. That's not bad compared to those who have daycare expenses. I'd stay home and writes hubs vs. going to work if I had to pay for daycare.

6. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I have never really taken time to estimate that important fact.  Gas prices are going to be big factor in this equation.  I would estimate (clothing, gas, food) it to be $120 per week for myself.  That's quite a lot now that I put it writing.  Good question.

working