I want advice about disclosure on an application for a driving job

1. profile image49
    rgwalkerposted 6 years ago

I want advice about disclosure on an application for a driving job

I have a 1976 marijuana possession conviction and subsequent pardon in Canada. It does not show up on a US backgrond check. I smoked marijuana on and off up to a few months ago but quit completely when I decided to persue a CDL driving job and I have no desire to use again and jeopardize my career. I will test clean and there is no way for anyone to know about my past drug use other than possible hearsay but I am conflicted about being honest about it on a job application and possibly eliminate myself from many good opportunities..

2. Writer David profile image79
    Writer Davidposted 6 years ago

Never, ever volunteer information about yourself.  If they ask you point-blank if you have every been arrested for possession of narcotics, it would be in your best interest at that time to be honest.  At that point, you have nothing to lose.  They would check you out anyway.  I was arrested for assault when I was stationed in Naples, Italy in the USN.  I never mentioned it on job applications.  It was never checked out in the USA.  My advice, if it is not showing up on background checks in USA, forget about it.

working