jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Can you fail a Pre-employment physical because of High Blood pressure?

1. Barnsey profile image82
    Barnseyposted 5 years ago

Can you fail a Pre-employment physical because of High Blood pressure?

2. neildabb profile image73
    neildabbposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure about any employment, but I do know you can fail a DOT (Department Of Transportation) physical because of high blood pressure.  This means to drive commercial vehicles you have to keep your blood pressure in check.

1. Barnsey profile image82
      Barnseyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ah, its a Driver's helper job, now I am really nervous. I was 142 over 80 during the physical. Thank you for the information, good sir!

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I think for DOT that under 140/90 is acceptable. Between the 140-160/90-99 range you will still be approved but for one year rather than two. 160-180/100-109 you are given a 3-month card and are expected to reduce your BP to the acceptable level. Only above 180/110 is someone automatically disqualified.

142-80 should be fine. They might only give you the year card though, and you'll want to work on getting it a little lower, though, working as a drivers helper should help, especially if you have been somewhat sedentary.

I think you only need the DOT card to be a driver, though, so you may have had a different physical.

working