Do you have difficulty charging clients more for tasks that are easy for you to

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Do you have difficulty charging clients more for tasks that are easy for you to do?

I just noticed when I tutor,  I tend to charge less for the type of tutoring that is easy for me. If I'm doing "conversational English immersion," I feel as if I have to give the students double the time because it's so enjoyable and much easier than something like guiding a student in essay writing  I think maybe this happens in any field.  If we can do something well, we think "it's nothing."  How do we force ourselves to realize our worth and then bring ourselves to charge for it ! ?

2. Rhonda_M profile image86
    Rhonda_Mposted 4 years ago

. You have to remember at all times it is a business. Yes, you love doing it and it is easy to get carried away. But, remember that they have called because they have a legitimate need you can help them with and that they are willing to pay for it. There are others out there also who need your time and talent. So be  gentle but firm..."my rate is..." (and stick to it). I use phrases such as... OK, we need to stop's so easy to go over time.  (I sometimes have to use a gentle timer alarm because I get carried away). I try and give the student a take away and a goal to work on before the next meeting. So value yourself, value your time. Get comfortable doing it. The more you do it, the easier it gets (don't feel guilty about charging the market rate and don't undervalue what you have to offer).

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

I understand exactly what you mean. It took me a while to catch myself and act on it. I would spend more time on calligraphy I enjoyed or with children who were more positive about learning. But after evaluating numerous situations, I finally kicked myself mentally and have created all as equal.