jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

In Google Keyword Tool, what do broad match, exact match, and phrase match reall

1. krisaclark profile image71
    krisaclarkposted 4 years ago

In Google Keyword Tool, what do broad match, exact match, and phrase match really mean?

This has bugged me for some time now: what do 'broad match', 'exact match', and 'phrase match' actually mean in the Google Keyword Tool?

I understand the concept, and I have read on many different sites what they are used for. But when I search 'xbox one' using the tool, there are 201,000 global searches when broad match is selected, and only 170 when I selected exact match. No matter what criteria exact match uses, that figure has to be incorrect. Is this an error?

2. WryLilt profile image94
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

Say we search "Blue Flowers". Here's searches that each one could find. From my understanding.

Broad - Blue and red flowers, Blue striped flowers, blue and grey flowers... etc
    Exact - People searching "Blue flowers" exactly
    Phrase - How do I make blue flowers, how do I press blue flowers, where can I buy blue flowers

3. Susana S profile image97
    Susana Sposted 4 years ago

Wrylilt is absolutely correct.

In addition, the search volume figures shown in the tool are averaged out over 12 months (they're not "real time") so the numbers for trending/new phrases will not be accurate.

1. krisaclark profile image71
      krisaclarkposted 4 years agoin reply to this

OK the 12 month average is probably why I'm getting that figure..thanks to both of you!

working