jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

How old were you when you realized which career path to follow?

1. HeatherH104 profile image84
    HeatherH104posted 4 years ago

How old were you when you realized which career path to follow?

I'm 40 and still wondering what I want to be when I grow up.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Me to....................................................................................... LOL

HeatherH104posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha! At least I'm not the only one.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

*too

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

I've never known. There are always different possibilities. One of my dreams for years is to be an architect. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting until the kids are out of the house before attempting the dream.

Good luck reaching your dreams! smile
      It's so hard to decide!
      Thanks for your response.

4. abhijeet4800 profile image80
    abhijeet4800posted 4 years ago

It totally depends upon your upbringing. I am from India, wherein there is a great divide between self employed/entrepreneurs and working class. The question arises which part I belong to, if I belong to self employed class, then I know from the age of 15 that I have to support my father in business, then either I'll join just after finishing my hi-school or after graduation. In case I belong to working class, I know that I have to study hard to do something substantial. In this case, I'll know that I'll be working as an employee, however the career path is decided on two factors - 1) My interest area 2) In case I fail to pursue my dream area, what is the fall back option. For example : I wish to pursue my career in Cricket, I might join High school team initially and might get selected in junior college team there after. However, I will be pursuing my studies simultaneously through Humanities stream, which requires less amount of study effort. In this way, in case I fail to make my career in Cricket, I will still be eligible for applying for Post graduation or atleast Public Sector Unit jobs.

Do revert in case you feel that I am wrong...

Interesting. Are people happy with choosing a career this way or is there a lot of dissatisfaction?

working