jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think realistic goals are always smaller goals, or can they be bigger goa

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 4 years ago

Do you think realistic goals are always smaller goals, or can they be bigger goals?

I was told by someone you shouldn't set realistic goals because they are too small.  In order to be succeessful, you should set impossible goals.  What do you think?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I once heard Les Brown the motivational speaker, ask an audience: How do you eat an elephant? His answer was; "one bite at a time".
    Essentially you can have a BIG overall goal but to reach it you may have to (break it down into smaller goals) along the way. If someone wanted to lose 52lbs in a year they might do better to focus on losing 1lb a week as a goal. Over the course of 52 weeks they would have lost 52lbs! If you (believe) something is "impossible" you'll give up.

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
      ReneeDC1979posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree dashingscorpio.  I think it is great to set large goals, but that may become daunting and you may be less apt to complete them.  However, smaller goals bring more achievement leading to accomplishing the big goal.

3. Sri T profile image80
    Sri Tposted 4 years ago

If the goal is impossible, it cannot be achieved. All goals are merely concepts in the mind. There is no challenge except in that person's mind. What is hard to one, is easy to another. So the thoughts can go either way, easy or hard. By eliminating the false thought of difficulty, the truth is revealed. Each person must face the world that they have created and eliminate whatever is not true. The only thing that makes a goal seem big is the idea that it is big.

4. Steve Burgess profile image60
    Steve Burgessposted 4 years ago

Set your goals high, make them realistic and then do whatever it takes to make them become a reality. Always believe that you will reach it as long as you keep persisting towards whatever it is you desire.

working