jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

What's the first step in being a freelance writer? Is that something people shou

1. LanaBSmith profile image61
    LanaBSmithposted 20 months ago

What's the first step in being a freelance writer? Is that something people should go to school for?

2. iggy7117 profile image81
    iggy7117posted 20 months ago

Writing is a good first step, learning to write well will serve you in many areas of online activities. Marketing will help if you plan to sell any of your own work.

LanaBSmithposted 20 months agoin reply to this

So I want to write and be hired as a proofreader, how would I market myself and where are some good websites? I know Hubpages is great for articles, I'd do information pieces. So I feel good about that I'm at least on the right track... I hope.

2. iggy7117 profile image81
      iggy7117posted 20 months agoin reply to this

Try Fiverr and post gigs for proof reading or editing. Advertise them. Try Amazon Mechanical Turk & find hits for the same. Build passive online income. I have more ways but would need to discuss them, contact if interested. Good Luck

3. LanaBSmith profile image61

Okay, I only know of Fiverr and Freelancer, but I don't like Freelancer. I'll definitely try Amazon though thanks. And yeah ill contact you, thanks

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 20 months ago

No, you don't have to go to school for it. You do need to understand the tasks, whether it is writing a press release, product description for websites, SEO positioned article.
    In the case of specialized assignments, you need to know the rules - such as ISO standards or grant proposals. That can be learned from specific classes, but you don't need a 2 year degree in how to write grants for nonprofits to the government or major foundations. And you don't need an English degree to write as long as you understand how to make the content the customers want.

Note - I write freelance technical articles for a living.

I've always tried to look up what SEO is, but I feel like I understand it... but then again I don't. And what is technical articles? How did you get your start? I mainly want to proofread and do some editing, I'm not sure where to start though.

working