jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How is it you apply for an entry level job, no experience required, get turned a

1. profile image58
    Amber L Huntposted 16 months ago

How is it you apply for an entry level job, no experience required, get turned away for that reason?

How do you get experience if no one is going to give you that chance?

2. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 16 months ago

Perhaps you need to apply for an entry level job for which you DO have some experience. Once hired, you can augment your experience so as to qualify for other employment that will generate more income. Throughout your working career, you will need to learn more and train more and study more in order to upgrade your skills. Those upgraded skills will stand in stead for the experience you will carry into your next work situation. Good Luck!

1. profile image58
      Amber L Huntposted 16 months agoin reply to this

That's the funny part, these positions are something I've got experience in. So how do you get more experience if they don't give you a chance?

3. Leinnken profile image60
    Leinnkenposted 16 months ago

Try telling the interviewer your positive qualities, strengths and skills that may somehow be related or applicable to the job that you are applying for and do not forget to convey that you are willing to learn and be trained - I believe that's how I got my first job.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

I understand the conundrum. The short answer is employers have to pay X amount for you to work, and they need more than X in value to get that money back. If they have to train you, you aren't putting out X value and slowing down someone else who could be producing.
    One option is making sure you can demonstrate you have the skills they want through volunteering, personal interests and such. I was able to get a job at an electronics factory by showing that I had a ham radio license - in short, my hobby was related to what they made.
    Another is asking to work for a training wage while you're trained, with a strict timetable for when they either promote you to full pay or let you go. This may get them to hire you.
    Another possibility is getting any dirty job at that company that is hiring to get experience and referrals, then seek to transfer to the nicer jobs. For example, work in unloading the trucks or cleaning the sidewalk, and after a few weeks of good performance, apply as an existing employee to an inside stocking position.

5. Cricrinel profile image67
    Cricrinelposted 15 months ago

Dear Amber,

I have made thousands of interviews. I recall that in my first job, I tried to show them my motivation and interest on the field. I believe this is very important for an entry level job. I would suggest you to try to show real motivation and interest to learn and develop your knowledge in order to improve your results at work
    And of course, if the job is an entry level, it means that (not every single candidate but..) most of the candidates are in the same level as you. wink wink
    I hope my advise will help you!