wall street fall

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    buddingwriterposted 15 years ago

I was wondering. Could the bankruptcy of wall street affect the value of the US dollar/currency? Because if the value of the US dollar falls, that spells more disaster as well for a lot of other countries. Mine included. Here in Trinidad and Tobago its - US$1.00 = TT$6.30.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well first, the value of the dollar has been falling.  What effect stock trading has in in its investors.  Meaning that if people continue to sell thier shares the companies go bankrupt because the stock holders essentiallly own parts of the company. 

When no one is putting money in to sustain or keep the business running they cannot pay thier debts to other companies.  This results in layoffs, job loss and an unstable market because people are keeping thier money under lock and key instead of out in the market place making trades for goods and services.

Mark is right, the companies are doing fine.  Because they are coorporations not one person is soley liable for what happens to the company and non can be sued or expected to pay back what they owe.  So if one big company goes bankrupt, they effectivly burned up someone elses money and one it goes, the domino effect.

In order to preserve some stability, companies raise the price on goods to stay afloat but are lessening the demand, which then takes its toll on foreign markets, when foreign markets are supplying the U.S or whomever, with the goods and see a sudden drop in demand, they too raise the price.

So now the value of the dollar had declined, which means the same dollar that could have baught you two tomatos last year, can hardly get you one tomato this year. 

So in Trinidad, if 6 dollars can buy you a bushell of tomatos, if you come to America it will probably only buy you a couple. 

Your best bet would be to invest your money in Trinidads local markets.  smile  Besides  if you had 600TT, it wouldn't be much more than 60$ here. 60$ wont buy you a night in a hotel room.

smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

It already has pet.

But Wall street has not gone bankrupt, just a few merchant banks smile  Needless to say, the owners and controllers of those banks are doing just fine thank you very much.

I do believe your currency is pegged to the dollar, but what difference will that make to you?

1. profile image0
      buddingwriterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'll be going to NY soon to work for 6 months. If the value of the dollar falls too much, makes no sense I go. but if not, then I can come back to Trinidad with a hefty savings wink  big_smile.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Still lost me. Your currency is pegged to the dollar. That means the exchange rate does not change between your currency and the US currency.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

She probably did not know this smile

I for one had no idea, too big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I had to look it up myself smile

1. profile image0

ok, its like this. you work hard, eat little, sacrifice and save your money. Some ppl stay at relatives, some do live-in jobs. At the end of the 6 months, lets say you have US$7200.00. Return to Trinidad and convert that to my currency = TT$45,360.00. Get it now?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So what has the value of the dollar against TT got to do with it?

This was your original question:

So, I am not sure what you are asking exactly as the TT is pegged to the $.

1. profile image0

up until you told me Mark, I did not know that. thanks for the info.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL, if your currency is pegged to the dollar, the exchange rate ALWAYS stays the same, no matter how much dollar/euro or dollar/yen fluctuate. The danger is at some point your government is likely to un-peg it, and then you are at a loss probably...

1. profile image0

I understand that Misha. I was just explaining my point for the sake of Sandra. Over the years many Trini's have done this. Even ppl from other countries do it. Come to the US, work hard, sacrifice, save their money. When they return to their country, convert it to their currency. A lot of Trinidadians today are 'living it up'. Thanks to hard work and the US dollar.

6. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

So what you guys are trying to say is that in Trinidad, what a dollar can buy in the U.S buys exactly the same in Trinidad????

Come on!

1. profile image0

no thats not what am saying. Many ppl from a lot of other countries do it. am sorry. I dont know how to explain it any more clearly than I already have. To me its just so simple. people have been doing it for decades, not just Trinidadians. I just thought everyone knew that.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL no!

We are trying to tell that one can always exchange one US dollar for 6.30 Trinidad dollars. No more, no less. There is no floating exchange rate. This is called "currency is pegged to the dollar".

I personally have no idea how much goods one can buy for one local dollar in Trinidad, even though I once spent three days in Port-of-Spain.

People come to US because the salary for even unqualified illegal labor is higher than they can possibly make at home, they work for several months, and return home with money. We have similar things back home, too - people from all over former Soviet Union come to Russia to make some money, because of much higher pay...

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh I gotcha smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)