- Business and Employment
Get Free Stuff at Listia!
A guide to Listia
Listia is one of my favorite auction sites because I've gotten so much stuff from them, but I haven't spent a penny. How did I do this? Well, I took advantage of Listias offers for free credits when I first joined. Then I started selling some of the things I normally just throw away, like cap codes, coupons and Box Tops for Education. Soon the credits from these started adding up and before I knew it, I had won my first gift card! Now I win 1 or 2 gift cards a week and I still haven't spent a dime!
It's actually very easy to make money on Listia. They make it easier by giving you a bunch of free credits when you sign up, then offering you the opportunity to get even more later on. Here's how you can take full advantage of all that Listia has to offer.
To sign up on Listia, all you need is an email address, a username and a password. Once you fill those out, a confirmation link will be sent to your email. Click on it to activate your username.
When you sign into your account, you'll find that's you've been given 350 free credits to spend as you wish, 50 for signing up and 300 for activating your account. But the free credits don't stop there.
The first thing you want to do is get more free credits. This can easily be done by going through the 5 steps in the Listia Tutorial. These steps will take you through the ins and outs of Listia and get you on your way to being a successful Listia member.
As you complete each step, your cloud will fill up and as soon as it's full, you'll get 50 more free credits!
- Take the video tour. This video is actually very helpful. In less than 3 minutes, it tells you how to navigate the site and how to perform different activities like bidding or listing an auction. Finish this video and you'll be 20% of the way to 50 more credits.
- Update your profile! I believe all you're required to do to receive the free credits is to add a profile picture, but you might as well add your name, gender and location (be honest about your location because some people take that into account when deciding whether or not to bid on your auction. Personally I'm more likely to bid on an auction that's close by because I know it won't take as long to ship.).
- Bid on something. It doesn't have to be anything big or even something you want. If you're just trying to get your free credits, place a small bid on an auction that still has 2-3 days left. This way, you're guaranteed to be outbid, so you'll be able to keep your credits.
- List an auction. Just like with bidding, your auction doesn't have to be anything big. In fact, if you look below, you'll find 9 different items that most people just have sitting around their house going to waste and all of these items are in high demand on Listia!
- Invite a friend. This is where your 50 free credits has a twist. You don't get your credits until you have a friend sign up and complete their first auction. But as long as you post your referral link in the right places, it's bound to happen sometime, so you will eventually get your free credits.
So by now you should have 350 credits for activating your account, plus 50 more credits for completing the tutorial. Now you can get 100 more free credits just by listing your first auction.
Not sure what to list? Just look below for some easy ideas. I'm sure you have most of these just sitting in your house somewhere.
- Box Top for Education labels
Everyone has these in their house. Just search through your food cupboard and I'm sure you'll find a few. Cut out a couple labels, take a picture of them and list them as your auction. You can even decide whether or not to charge for shipping (although I wouldn't charge more than 50 cents, if anything at all).
- Reward Codes
If you have any caps from soda bottles, look at them to see if they have a code printed on the inside. If they do, you can sell the unused codes on Listia. The two most popular rewards codes are My Coke Rewards and Dr. Pepper. I've also seen reward codes from Pop Tarts, Pampers Gifts to Grow, Huggies Enjoy the Ride, video game codes and many others.
After watching and bidding on reward points for the last couple months, I've realized one mistake people seem to make over and over: They over value their codes. I can't tell you how many auctions for 3 MCR points I've seen that have a starting bid set at 100 credits. By setting their starting bid so high, they're killing their chances of actually selling their codes. If those people had looked around the site first, they would have noticed that MCR points usually go for 10-20 credits per 3 points. That's one of the reasons I've never set a starting bid (and I've never been disappointed with the outcome).
- E-Gift Card
Or a real gift card. Either one will bring in good credits. After watching the auctions for months, here's a little piece of advice. Only sell $5 gift cards. For some reason they sell better than $10 or $25 gift cards. For example, I recently sold a $5 Amazon card for 3,000 credits. The next day I bought a $10 Walmart gift card for 3,100 credits. I don't know why, but the $5 gift cards just always do better.
- Small Collectibles
Have a couple spare stamps? How about your children's old Yugioh cards and Pokémon cards that they tossed aside last year? Maybe an old baseball card that's might be worth a couple of bucks? These are all great things to sell on Listia. They are all in great demand and because they're small enough to fit inside a normal envelope, you can offer free shipping without feeling like you're losing money.
- Old clothing
We all have that one one blouse in our closet that we bought and wore just one time. Or how about that scarf that still has the price tag attached? Why not sell them? As long as they're all in good shape, you can clean out your closet one piece at a time on Listia. Out with the old, in with the new!
- Movies and Books
If you've already read that book a hundred times, list it and give someone else a chance to enjoy it. If you bought a movie thinking you would enjoy it, but it turned out to be the worst movie of all time, list it (just don't put that's it's the worst movie of all time in the description. lol). They don't even have to be dvd movies. I've seen plenty of vhs tapes getting bid on.
If you're particularly crafty, Listia is a great place to sell your wares. And when I say crafty, I don't mean just knitting and drawing. Any and all crafts are welcome and bid on. Just yesterday I saw an auction for a $1 bill folded origami style. I don't know what it ended up selling for, but when I saw it the bid was over 1,000 credits.
Listia doesn't allow all coupons, just those where the coupon is for a free item. Any coupons that require a purchase aren't allowed. But if you happen to have a coupon for a free item just laying around, list it and get paid for it. That's what I did when I got 2 coupons for hair dye. I only needed one so I listed the other and was very happy with the credits I received.
Shampoo samples, lotion samples, skin care samples, laundry detergent samples, make up samples, cleaner samples or any other kind of sample small enough to mail cheap.
Listia offers badges for completing certain activities and reaching certain goals. Badges are a way to let others know how active you are on Listia. Certain badges, like the verification badges and the sellers wings, are displayed on each of the auctions you list. Other badges can only be seen by viewing your profile.
How to get more free Listia credits
I'm adding as we go. So far you have 50 credits for signing up, 300 for verifying you account, 50 for completing the tutorial and 100 credits for listing your first auction. That's 500 credits! Do you want some more? Here are a few more easy ways to get free credits from Listia.
- Connect your Listia account to your Facebook account and you'll get 50 more credits. Once you do this, you'll be offered the chance to share certain auctions on Facebook in exchange for 10 credits.
- Connect your Listia account to your Twitter account and you'll get another 50 credits. Once you do this, you'll be offered the chance to tweet about certain auctions in exchange for 10 credits.
- Get referrals. Each person that you refer gets you more free credits. As soon as they complete their first auction, you get 500 credits. On top of that, Listia runs bonuses every month. If you get a certain amount of referrals, they'll give you a certain amount of bonus credits. It changes every month, but it's usually 3-8 referrals with a bonus of 100 credits per referral.
- Be active. You'll get small amounts of free credits for being active on the site. Sometimes you'll get some for bidding on an auction or leaving a comment. Sometimes you'll get some for FB liking an auction. Being active also serves a second purpose. You'll also get experience points (xp) which move you up through the levels. Every once in a while Listia puts on auctions that are available only to certain levels. So it pays to level up.
You're offered many chances to get free credits and xp every day!
A couple more things you should do
These aren't necessary, but I'd recommend them if you want to have any success on Listia.
- Verify your account. Listia has two ways to verify your account.
The first is by phone. Just enter your phone number and Listia's automated phone system will call and give you a verification number. Enter that number in the appropriate spot to verify your phone number.
The second way is to verify your bank account by buying 10 credits for $1. I know that sounds like a total rip off but it's important. Why is it important? Because each of these will earn you a badge that's prominently displayed on each of your auctions. Getting verified is a symbol of trust, so most bidders check to see if you're verified before bidding. Plus you aren't allowed to bid on certain auctions until you're verified.
What I did was verify my phone number first. Then I waited 2 months to see if I could actually make any money with Listia. Once I decided I was going to stick with it, I verified my bank account.
- Fan people. Don't fan everyone, but any time you see an auction you're interested in, fan the owner. This means you'll see their new auctions when they list them (and have first dibs). Most of the time they'll also fan you back . Then when you list an auction, it will get seen by all your fans.
- Leave Feedback. Honest feedback is the most important thing on any auction site. Feedback tells us everything we need to know about a buyer or seller; if they are honest or if they're a little shady; if they ship fast or if they take their time; if they're known for repeatedly requesting refunds after receiving their items or if they're usually a happy customer; Feedback can offer a wealth of information to anyone willing to read it. So whether you're buying or selling, always leave feedback.
Every auction list all the important details of the seller; their feedback rating, how many fans they have and the most important badges they've earned.
Have fun with Listia!
Just because you're trying to make a little extra money, doesn't mean you can't have fun doing it. Every once in a while, swerve away from your normal auctions and try listing one of these fun ones. Not only are they enjoyable and lucrative, they're also great ways to get fans and more bids.
- Mystery Boxes!
I love a good mystery box auction! You never know what you're going to get. It's kind of like sending yourself a surprise gift! Here's my 2 cents about them though. First, make sure you're well established as an honest seller before you even attempt to list a mystery box. No one is going to bid on a mystery if they can't trust the seller. Second, make sure the mystery box is worth the credits that were bid.
- Tiered Auctions!
This is very popular with gift cards. Offer a small $ gift card. Then raise the $ amount every time the bidding hits a new milestone. For example, a $5 gift card if the winning bid is up to 3,000 credits. Then for every 2,000 more credits bid, the $ amount goes up by $5. These are so much fun!
- Deal or Bonus Auctions!
Every once in a while, try offering a bonus item if the credits reach a certain level or, if you're auctioning cap codes, offer to give out a free code to 2 random people that comment on your auction and fan you. These are both great ways to get fans and popularity. And anyone that's serious about auctions knows that popularity goes a long way for higher bids.
When I'm selling reward codes, I like to throw in an extra code or two every once in a while. It's my way of thanking those who bid.
- A Mystery Bowl Auction!
I just saw this auction and was so enchanted I had to rush over here to include it. This auction starts with a $5 gift card, a bowl and 4 pieces of paper. Each paper is marked $5, $10, $15, or $20 and placed in the bowl. Now, for every 250 credits bid, you place another piece of paper in the bowl. Start with one marked $5, then $10, then $15, and then $20. Then you start over using the same increments. When the auction ends, you draw one slip of paper from the bowl and that's the amount the winner gets. Doesn't it sound fun!
- A Tiered "Bidders Choice" Auction!
If you have a lot of small items or a bunch of samples you don't want, then this is perfect for you. I just listed my first like this using all the beauty samples I've received in the last year. What I did was list and number each sample. Then I let certain bidders pick which ones go into the winners box. The first bidder chooses the first item. And the bidders who hit each 100 credit (200, 300, 400, etc) mark after that picks the rest of the items. These are fun and interactive. People will bid even if they don't want it just so they get the chance to choose one of the items that goes in it.
How I make money on Listia
First, I followed the steps above to get all my free credits.
Second, I started selling things I couldn't use, like coke points. Although, I do use MyCokeRewards, they have a 120 point weekly limit and I always have extras. So I sell these extra codes as a way to build my credit balance and to get immediate positive feedback.
Third, I started selling things I had bought cheaply:
On Wednesdays, MyCokeRewards puts one of their rewards on sale at a deep discount. I usually get those rewards and then sell them on Listia.
I also follow the daily deal sites for $1 deals. Lately they've been offering different types of earbuds and headsets for $1 (with free shipping) so I bought a couple and sold them on Listia. I always come out ahead with those.
Now I buy and sell gift cards (among other things). I guess I don't have to tell you to buy low and sell high. Duh!
If you look at my history, I can usually sell a $5 gift card and then buy a $10 gift card for around the same amount of credits. The only way to do this is with patience. I bid on a lot of gift card auctions, and most of the time someone outbids me. But a couple of times a week, I get lucky and snag a gift card for a small amount of credits.
I'm not going to get rich off of Listia, but in this economy, every little bit helps!
Click Here To
Join Listia Today!
Photos and text; Â© 2011-2013 Catherine Taylor. All Rights Reserved
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.