- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- HubPages, the Community
I Finally Removed Babylon Search From My PC! WooHoo!
So here I was one day so busy working online when suddenly I noticed that my homepage was not what it was supposed to be. I'm using Mozilla FireFox browser as I like it. So anyway, this 'Babylon search' was popping out of nowhere! I don't recall installing it or downloading it at all! So I went 'WTF?!' I checked the settings on my toolbar. (Tools>Options>General tab) It shows my homepage was set for Google. But this 'Babylon search' still kept popping up.
I went to research on removal of 'babylon' and found a number of forums with suggestions. I tried following them all. BUT TO NO AVAIL! I was indeed getting frustrated. Anyway, I came across this site that offers FREE download of 'Babylon Removal Toolbar' so I went ahead and downloaded, installed, and ran the program! I must say it took awhile. Since it was getting too late for me, I had to sleep on it while the program continued on. So when I finally got up, it was all done! Yep! It seems this 'Babylon' thingy was all over the place! However, upon clicking on next, I discovered that you actually need TO PAY for the software and it is after all NOT FREE! AARRGGHH! WTH?! But I kept my calm and just looked for the files where the 'Babylon' thingy is supposed to be found. One was a folder under 'Program Files' called 'MyWebSearch'. Another one was under 'FunWebProducts'. I naturally removed both folders as they are of no use to me. I have also previously removed 'Babylon Search' from my 'Control Panel' settings using 'Add/Remove Programs'.
Well, I thought that was done, but when I restarted my pc and clicked on my Mozilla FireFox, it did open up my Google Homepage. However, when I opened up a new tab, the 'Babylon Search' still pops out! AARRGGHH.. I did another search and this time found 'Removing Babylon from Mozilla FireFox'. I had to go to Tools>Add-ons>Extensions tab and from there UNINSTALL 'Babylon Toolbar'. Then restart the browser. AND THAT DID IT!!! WooHoo!!! I finally got rid of the pesky 'Babylon Search' from my pc!
If you're having the same issue or problem, I hope this hub of mine will help you. I just thought it was worth sharing as none of the other fixes I've read about helped me. ^_^
Good luck! Let's hope I won't encounter another malware!