- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Help for New Hubbers
I Wrote 3 Hubs And Made Money! And You Can Too!
The trials and tribulations of a noob hubber
That's right it only took me 3 hubs to make my first income from HubPages - A shiny copper penny. Not a lot, but its a start!
Before I go on let me state that I am a complete noob with no prior writing experience. I'm actually an IT guy. I write programs in languages most only heard of in passing like C# (pronounced cee-sharp; like the music note) and work with little known software products like QlikView and Tableu. I lied a bit before because as it turns I did write one article about 2 months previous to when I started writing HubPages. That one article was actually for my company's blog as a work requirement so I'm not counting it as part of my HubPage experience.
Also I lied a bit more, not intentionally, but I actually wrote 4 hubs. I only PUBLISHED 3. That part I'll get into later when I start doling out the advice
On to my point..Here I am a total noob with no real writing experience or writing education and it took me all of 10 days to figure this thing out and come up with some content that has already started me on the path to make money on HubPages
If I can do this anyone can. Really. You can too. With a little bit of know-how and a whole lot of effort you can get this thing rolling. And if you stick with it long enough you may even make a few pennies.
Advice for the beginner
Since I had no idea what I was doing it took some trial and error to figure things out, and I am by no means an expert yet. However, I did discover a few things that I think can be helpful to someone who is just begining to learn how to make money with HubPages.
Some of the advice I'm going to give may diverge from the conventional wisdom of the experts. That is not to say thier advice is bad, just that there are some things that I felt that overwhelmed me in the beginning and can be put on hold. Or worse they had small return on the time invested when you are just starting out.
In other words if I had had to condense this guide in to just one sentence it would be: KEEP IT SIMPLE SIR!
Content is King
Cliche I know, but it is one of the universal truths to doing anything on the web be it blogging, hub pages or something else. You need content that people want (need) to read. I have some advice that worked for me.
- Start writing. This is where you should spend most of your time. Writing good quality hubs. Now there are more than a few hubs that give you advice for creating a great hubs and I suggest you go out and read some. However, reading is not writing. In the end you need to put the pen to the pad (not really just use the keyboard) and get creative.
- Write about the things you love! You are probably thinking, "yeah thishub stuff is easy for you". After all I already told you about my technology back ground and I could probably write a bunch of hubs on computer programming. Except, why would I want to do that? That's my day job, I already do that for 8 hours each and every day. Instead I write about the things I enjoy the most. And you should too. Its so important it bears mentioning twice. Write about the things you love!
- Don't over do it. You'll hear about sprucing up you hub with polls and pictures and what have you. This stuff, while good, can be quite a distraction from actually writing a great hub. A the start focus on writing hubs, until you have a few successful ones under your belt. You can always go back and update them with polls and pictures.
If you build it they will come.
Not always! The Internet is vast, filled with a cornucopia of content. People are going to need a little help in finding your little corner of the web. No matter how good your hub is without a good bit of promotion you are going to have very few readers.
You want to do a little promotion but not take away too much time from your writing, so you have to be smart and go for the type of promotion that will give you the biggest bang for your buck.
- SOE. Forget it. Its too time consuming and technical to deal with at first. You have one hub, if you are lucky it could be indexed in a week or it could be a month.
- Keywords. Another thing not to be overly concerned about right away. The concept can be confusing and time consuming when you are still green. Why spend hours researching the prefect phrase when you can just be writing more content? You can always edit your work later after its published.
- Comments & Forums. Be careful not to get so caught up that you are doing more commenting than writing.
- Social Media. This is by far the best method to use for your first few hubs. As soon as you publish a hub go out Tweet it, Pin it, submit it to Reddit, StumbleUpon and any other site you can find. There are some great guides right in this section of Hub Pages that will explain these methods in detail. Once you learn how, it will take you 5 minutes to do and bring in a very good amount of traffic. My first hub languished with 8 page views for the first week, then I posted it to a few social media sites and my page views jumped to almost 10 times that by the next morning.
Rome wasn't built in a day
Neither will be your Internet empire. Be patient. Its going to take time. Yes I made some money in a short order, but that is just one step on a very long journey. With that in mind here are some key concepts to keep in mind:
- Challenge yourself. Keep striving to improve your hubs, improve your writing, improve your content.
- Set attainable goals. Its important not to make large ambiguous targets, like "I want to get rich on HubPages" . Instead you should focus on small well defined goals like "I want to write 5 hubs by the end of my first month" or "I want to reach 100 page views in 10 days"
- Take a break. Even the all-mighty rested on the 7th day. Let yourself enjoy the small moments and achievements with some down time. You may find that inspiration visits you when you least expect it.
Keep On Keeping On
It is possible to succeed at making money with HubPages. I did it and you can too!
If you are not a member yet, then sign up today and get started making money writing online.
I hope this guide has been helpful to you and good luck on your journey!