Self-Marketing Through HubPages - Perception
Why Are You Here?
Every one of us has a different motivation for doing anything. By being or intending to be here at HubPages you have undergone thought processes that have made you believe that HubPages can assist you in some way to achieve the goals that you have set yourself for the particular motivation that you have.
HubPages will assist you in that quest but you must be aware that it can do just so much and the rest is up to you. Your strategy for success must be considered and planned. It must be researched and understood. Your overall strategy is not going to bring you success if all that you do is sit down and create some masterpiece. It is the start, but it is going to be a waste of time (in the main) if you do not achieve an audience.
So, whatever the reason for being here, your one goal is to achieve an audience. There are many aspects to achieving an audience but for the moment I will concentrate on your motivation.
As noted, we all have a different motivation even if it is just down to the minutest nuance. There are several underlying categories of motivation, the most notable of which are:
- Money - this may or may not be the overriding factor in your motivation but at least at some time it will cross your mind.
- Love of Writing - by this I think you will mean that you have a need to transfer your thoughts to the minds of others - I call this written communication
- Community - you feel that there is something missing in your life and you wish to feel a part of a group of possibly like-minded individuals
- Answers - you have a myriad of questions rattling about in your head and you think that a someone, somewhere may have the answer.
- Mission - you have a belief that you wish to explore and to communicate to others. This does not have to be confined to religion.
- Solace - something has happened in your life that you need to get off your chest. From your point of view there does not need to be an audience out there.
Each of you will have one or a number of these motivations. As will will see, there is a link to separate Hubs where I explore the role of perception from a self-marketing point of view against each category. But, as a rule you will need to consider the following points when it comes to the most important consideration in your HubPages experience, your audience.
Your Most Important Considerations
In order to achieve your goals you must first consider what those goals are (see the individual Hubs -- as linked above). Once you have delved into your sole and concluded what it is that you want and need to get out of your experience at HubPages, you can develop a strategy to achieve those goals. Whatever that strategy turns out to be there must be one underlying consideration you must take into account - your audience.
What does your intended audience need from you?
It needs the following:
- Your consideration - understand what motivates them to interact with you.
- Your commitment - feed their habit.
- Your loyalty - you are endeavouring to attract long-term relationships, not one night stands, so be there when you are needed.
- Your understanding - each of your audience is expecting you to understand their feelings and emotions and worries and fears. They expect you to know what their questions are going to be and that you will answer them without being asked.
- Your intellect - your views will not always match their views. Be prepared to explain yourself in a committed way.
- Your strength - they need to know that they can come back to you time and time again and they will receive your wisdom to bolster their understanding.
- Your love - they must feel wanted and that you want them to love you too. They need to feel welcome and engaged and interesting.
So, it's pretty much like a marriage. Just don't let it end up in divorce. Don't let them go wandering off in search of other lover's just because they perceive that you have not perceived what they require. Attract them with your one-liner's; your wit; your intellect; your passion; your love; your committment; your boyish good looks or your feminine wiles.
But most of all make them perceive that you care.