Bounce rate

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (21 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

My views are picking up nicely but my bounce rates seem pretty high.  Any ideas as to how I can fix this problem?  I think Google will nail me if I don't!

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Trust me. A high bounce rate by itself will not hurt you. If your bounce rate is high and your time on page is very, very short, I think it may cause problems, but that is pure conjecture. I have nothing to back that up.

1. Morgaren profile image66
        Morgarenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thats the ticket right there, if you have a high bounce rate, and your view time is large, you may want to link more to other works in your works. I only have 8 Hubs, but in http://morgaren.hubpages.com/hub/Pay-to … es-it-mean you can see where I have a link and areas where I will link later, after I write the articles mentioned. I see you do some links at the bottom, but you may want to insert a link when you mention it in the article, that way if you mention what the reader is really looking for they can click immediately.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I do link within my hubs and then link again when possible at the end.  My time on page isn't very good, either...but I'm not sure what a good "time on page" is.  Please give me your thoughts as I am really bothered by this issue.

Okay I looked at something along the lines of three hubs, it is why I mentioned it, those three didn't have it, just at the bottom. A good time on page is over 30 seconds, that is enough time for someone to read some of your page and see if it is what they are looking for.

Even better is in the 2+ minute mark, really depending on how long your articles are.

If what you say is correct about time on page, I'm doing better than I thought in that arena.  Some of my hubs have tons of links both in and outside of the articles, but some just aren't the types of articles (ie humor) where that works.  Thanks so much for the info....you really put my mind at ease.

What you want to avoid is hits with 0-1 seconds, those are just bot programs hitting your page. You won't be able to avoid people coming in and leaving without going to another page, but if they are there more than 30 seconds they looked at what you were writing and found out it's not for them.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

I thought bounce rate and time on page were the same thing..in other words, someone starts to read then doesn't finish and leaves the page.  Am I right or is there something I'm missing here?

Bounce rate is just they come to your page, and leave without taking an external link out, or clicking on a link someonewhere in your site. Mostly in the form of they the click from a search engine, stay for x amount of time then hit the back button or exit from typing a new address in the address bar, or closing the browser. I am pretty sure time on page is completely unrelated, there are two different catagories for things like that on google analytics.

2. JakeFrost profile image59
    JakeFrostposted 11 years ago

My analytics say that I have 494 page views, avg. visit duration 00:14:53, and a bounce rate of 37.5%

Can someone translate this for me, it the avg time in minutes or seconds. 14 minutes is a long time for 494 people to have spent on my hubs. I only joined yesterday so it might not be long enough for Google to give me an accurate reading?

494 page views isn't 494 visitors, its also going to include when you edit and reload your pages. If you sit on your page and refresh it 10 times, that is 10 page views.

your data shown is probably accurate from analytics though, you need some good long term data to be able to establish trends.
      15:53 is 14 minutes and 53 seconds, bounce rate of 37.5% is that about 1/3 of people come to your page and leave without looking at anythign else. You won't be able to get accurate numbers until you have been doing online writing for about a month. I have exp with a personal website, but driving traffic there was much harder than I thought, having access to a community like hib pages is an excellent start.

1. JakeFrost profile image59
        JakeFrostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, the first time I logged onto analytics is seemed very daunting but now I am slowly working it out.

You eat an elephant one bit at a time.

Haha excellent metaphor (I hope it was a metaphor anyway hmm )

2. JakeFrost profile image59

So whats some healthy stats to try and stay at. In terms of bounce rate and page view time?

Pretty much what I listed to time traveler, I am not a very successful writer, I have been here a week and haven't had 500 views, but you want 30sec plus+ to be your smallest amount of time, people spending less that 10 seconds didn't read a single word. Bounce rate isn't a huge issue if your view times are good.

Okay, thanks smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Morgaren:  How do you know so much about this stuff if you've only been here a week?  And frankly, 500 views in your first week is quite good, so don't assume you're not a successful writer.  It can take up to a year for your hubs to mature, so if you've got 500 already, you're going to be VERY successful here.

Just because I am new here doen't mean I am new to writing on the internet. I own a site that I got lazy and quit driving traffic too.

Well, that answers it.  Good luck to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)