jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

KNOWN ISSUE: minor spacing issue with italic parenthesis

1. Tenerife Islander profile image91
    Tenerife Islanderposted 5 years ago

I don't know if this has happened to other hubbers or how many of you even do this but, as a matter of course, I usually put scientific names in Latin in italics in brackets after the English manes of plants and animals I am writing about. Recently I discovered that in most of my hubs where I had done this there is now an unwanted space after the last letter in the brackets.
    This is really annoying because it means I have to meticulously go though all my hubs that have flora and fauna in them and edit top remove the spaces that I never put there in the first place! It makes me look as if I am a sloppy writer who doesn't check over his work which is not the case!
    If you are a writer that uses this practice of enclosing botanical and zoological names in brackets too I would check your hubs and see if you have the same problem as I do!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do you observe this formatting issue only on existing Hubs or is a space being inserted in new Hubs that contain square brackets?

I wonder if it is a combination of square brackets and italics.

Do you have an example Hub I can look at?

Tenerife Islanderposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is not with square brackets but with this type: ()
        Yes, the problem is only on already existing hubs but that makes it a big problem because many are about flora and fauna and it means I have to go through correcting them all.  Here is an example I left with the spaces showing: http://tenerifeislander.hubpages.com/hu … water-fish

1. Matthew Meyer profile image73
          Matthew Meyerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah, so it is related to parenthesis () .

I have sent this issue to our engineering team to see if they can determine what might be the cause.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention and your continued patience.

Tenerife Islanderposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that is it, and I would think that any other hubbers who write scientific hubs about plants and animals would have the same problem. I can't believe I am the only one this has happened too!

working