jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Italics used in words in brackets fail to post correctly

1. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

I am a writer who often puts the scientific name in italics enclosed in brackets after the name of a species of flower or animal I have been writing about. This is standard practice by authors who write on such matters.

However, I have noticed a fairly new problem here which is very time consuming to fix: in all my hubs where I have names in italics in brackets there is now an additional space after the last letter eg the Common Toad (Bufo bufo) appears as (Bufo bufo ).

Why is this happening? It was NOT like that when I published the hubs originally. It seems clear to me that some change here has caused this.

To sort this mess out means I have to painstakingly go through all my hubs with flowers or animals in them, go into editing mode and get rid of the spaces. I have better things to do with my time than this but it makes my writing look very unprofessional!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image74
      Matthew Meyerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

Can your provide a link to a Hub that has the formatting issues you are experiencing?

We can then look into the issue and see if it is something we can send to our engineering team to address.

Thanks.

Bard of Elyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, certainly, here is an old hub I have not amended to sort this problem out and you will be able to see what I mean: http://bardofely.hubpages.com/hub/Swan- … terpillars

1. Matthew Meyer profile image74
          Matthew Meyerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I looked at that Hub and removed the trailing spaces using the HTML view while editing the text capsule.

I also tested adding italicized text and could not get it to create a trailing space.

Bard of Elyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for looking into it, Matthew, but I gather you haven't discovered why my hubs have  been affected this way?

I have been amending them to correct this problem as I find them but am certain they were not originally published with "trailing spaces" because I view my work in detail before I publish so it must have been some change here that caused it.

The problem is not in newly created hubs where adding italicised text works fine, as you discovered, but in old already published hubs. I am surprised nobody else has reported this. I doubt if I am the only hubber to use the scientific way of identifying species of animals and plants.

working