jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you need to have a blog to set up an RSS Feeder

1. carol7777 profile image83
    carol7777posted 5 years ago

I guess I really don't understand this thoroughly. I opened to RSS capsule and tried to put a link and it wouldn't take it.

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

I usually grab the link from the search field, then insert into the RSS capsule, save. It should work or may be only a temporary glitch, try a different browser? just some thoughts.

carol7777posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess I really don't understand rss.  Do you need to have a blog?  Do you use the link from the blog?  How important is this?

3. jacharless profile image79
    jacharlessposted 5 years ago

Hi Carol.
    RSS is used to syndicate {gather} all the links of articles into one location.
    This makes finding articles much easier and more local for subscribers.
    As long as you can place the links within, you can feed articles from as many sites as you prefer.

For example, I have three Tech sites I write for, and have syndicated the links into one RSS Feed trough for visitors to  my personal website. I use it for increased inbound linking or social sharing on FB/Twitter versus one-link at a time. Some also use RSS for increased Ad placements, yada yada.

On Hub Pages, be careful not to add too many links, else it will through an error.

James.

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

You can 'subscribe' to a RSS feed. It gets 'bookmarked' in your favorites, under Feeds. I would have to say, yes, I believe you do need a blog to 'host' a link otherwise. I'm no tech nerd and could be wrong too lol

carol7777posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the help.  I guess I don't really understand the concept. I used the rss feed on a hub and added my blog address and it wouldn't take it. Being totally not great on all the internet language and navigations...it is hard for me to understand all this. And a big question how important is it?  I just want to learn all the stuff to be the most successful I can.

1. jacharless profile image79
        jacharlessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah, I see the issue.
        Okay, when you add a HubRSS Capsule, you can display a list of your hubs.
        In order for the Feed Reader to recognize the link, it must be in RSS format, like:
        http://carol7777.hubpages.com/hubs/latest?rss
        Which gets all your hubs and syndicates them.
        Add the capsule and paste this url in. It should add up to six links to your articles.

If using outside sources, the link must be to a standard xml/rss document to work correctly.
        Regular links to not act like rss links.

James.

working